The Royal Bodyguard Page 11

DJ's fans always bring it back to Scullion, and that was '88, and I thought he was a bit one-tone in that. Frost was just Del in a series mood, and in scenes like the argument in the last Fools and Horses, you can really see Frost there. Same as I said earlier, he's the same in Come Rain Come Shine, The Quest, Only Fools, Darling Buds etc. Sometimes it's just the mannerisms and facial tics, others it's the whole thing.

Of course, it's not a sin for an actor to lack range. People like him because he's playing David Jason. Even in interviews he's the same thing. He was on The One Show a couple of weeks ago and he was virtually intertangible with Del.

DJ and range? Go back and watch the Christmas special fo OFAH from 1995 in which Rodney and Cassandra have lost a baby. Okay, it hit a lot of raw emotions because the same thing had just happened to us but the scene in the lift where Del tries to get Rodney to face up to what happened... Great writing and brilliant acting.

Quote: Dave @ January 11 2012, 8:49 PM GMT

He was the same in Darling Buds of May, Diamond Geezer, A Bit of a Do, Fools and Horses and Come Rain, Come Shine and The Quest.

It's not quite right about Bit of a Do, he played a dullard in that, though it is said he found it quite hard and kept slipping into Del. No, I definitely remember it as a distinctive character.

In between making this piss poor sit-com Mr Jason has also found time to give us his piercing insights into international relations-

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/18/david-jason-only-fools-horses-star-germany-fourth-reich_n_1156239.html

Next week Henry Kissenger on cocktails at the Nags Head.

The Royal Bodyguard isn't the worst show on TV, it's just getting more scruitiny because it was hyped by the BBC as the next big thing. The second episode was no worse than the first episode of the Thin Blue Line (and that wasn't terrible).

Basically: Jason is too old to do the slapstick stunts required and so the stunts end up looking terrible because the director has had to work with stunt-men and covering shots. Also the idea would have made a good Johnny English-type film and seems a tad stretched at three hours.

Quote: Dave @ January 11 2012, 11:45 PM GMT

DJ's fans always bring it back to Scullion, and that was '88, and I thought he was a bit one-tone in that. Frost was just Del in a series mood, and in scenes like the argument in the last Fools and Horses, you can really see Frost there. Same as I said earlier, he's the same in Come Rain Come Shine, The Quest, Only Fools, Darling Buds etc. Sometimes it's just the mannerisms and facial tics, others it's the whole thing.

Of course, it's not a sin for an actor to lack range. People like him because he's playing David Jason. Even in interviews he's the same thing. He was on The One Show a couple of weeks ago and he was virtually intertangible with Del.

He played Del Boy for more than 20 years. Of course some of the things he did in that show are going to be similar to stuff he's done elsewhere. If you wanted to you could say that things that Rowan Atkinson did in Blackadder are the same as stuff he's done in Mr. Bean or Johnny English.

You might not have liked A Bit of a Do but you can't deny that it was loved by the public and won awards too. As he played a character with a different personality and accent to Del Boy, I'm not sure what more he could have done.

And as many of his other shows have been colossal hits, it clearly isn't a problem to find shows for him as long as the writing is there.

I thought ep 3 wasn't so bad.

The direction is problematic I think. When Hubble slipped on that glass and crashed his head into the grandfather clock it was quite a Clouseau moment; in fact, I thought Julian Nott's score was deliberately riffing on the Inspector Clouseau theme from 'Strikes Again'.

However, they cut to a shot from inside the clock. That didn't work for me. Blake Edwards wouldn't have done that - he'd have kept the camera simply observing Clouseau/Hubble.

I enjoyed the 4th episode although I may be the only person still watching. :) Nice cameo from David Walliams and a few decent visual gags (some duffers as well though).

Quite enjoyed it tonight. Obviously a 71 year old David Jason in drag suffering an attempted rape lifts an episode.

I love this show. It's so joyfully silly. I only wish there were more episodes.

Watched last night's episode - I liked the plot, but there just wasn't any tightness to the writing & few jokes. It's the sort of wacky plot you'd see in an old British film, which I love, with Jason's character cross-dressing as a spy. But the moments of humour were leaden, alas, despite good performances. An effective menacing moment at the end with the gun showed a comedy/drama approach might have worked better.

I love this show. David Jason cracks me up ever since Open All Hours.

Quote: george roper @ January 27 2012, 6:33 PM GMT

I love this show. David Jason cracks me up ever since Open All Hours.

He's a very gifted actor. Anyone who doesn't like him in this should would do well to remember that Del Boy is played by the same actor who plays Inspector Frost.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 28 2012, 2:13 AM GMT

He's a very gifted actor. Anyone who doesn't like him in this should would do well to remember that Del Boy is played by the same actor who plays Inspector Frost.

I like the show. It's fun even if the situations have been done many times before.

But oddly enough David Jason played the female Sandra TOO well, I thought the female-style movements were spot on, but.. they were BETTER than Captain Hubble ought to have been able to do it.

Errr

Thank fook the final time we will be subjected to this. I liked the first one, but that was enough.

Good riddance to the worst sitcom of the 2010s so far.....