DVD boxed sets and missing material Page 2

Wow. Really dodgy authoring on those, it sounds. No scratches, marks, etc on the surfaces?

Ashamed of asking yet another stupid technical question, but... on my Arrested Development Season One DVD, I cannot work out how to episode select. Sometimes I hit random buttons and it works, sometimes it doesn't. Is there an odd feature on this particular DVD?

Quote: Rose2010 @ January 14 2012, 10:56 PM GMT

It's been interesting to get DVDs of Britcoms that I had first seen on commercial television. PBS doesn't have commercials and, so, doesn't trim but stations like Vision -- Canadian -- which airs quite a number of British situation comedies, chops them mercilessly -- and poorly. As you say, it seems as though there are more advertisements.

Watched one episode of an older ITV show -- The Two of Us -- with a friend who, not being familiar with older sitcoms, laughed at the "part one/part two" break. He couldn't believe that the shows aired with only one interuption.

He would probably die if he ever watched a BBC show then. No ad breaks! Not one, except at the end when they advertise other shows

He would probably be desperate for the loo at the end. Like I am if I mistakenly watch a film on a BBC Channel.

I find it irritating when ITV put a film on and then put the news on halfway through.

I'd long been a fan of British television but I think it was finally some combination of way-too-many advertisements and stoopid reality shows that drove me to begin collecting DVDs. I haven't added my list to the "collection" post because it would be embarrassing. When does a collection become an addiction?
Obsession?

Lucky old you (plural) to only have one commercial break on real-time television.

BTW, I have the Minder set and haven't had any issues with it technically. I'm only about half-way through.

Is there an equivalent site -- though how could it ever be as good? :) -- about British television drama?

Quote: Rose2010 @ January 15 2012, 5:05 PM GMT

I'd long been a fan of British television but I think it was finally some combination of way-too-many advertisements and stoopid reality shows that drove me to begin collecting DVDs. I haven't added my list to the "collection" post because it would be embarrassing. When does a collection become an addiction?
Obsession?

When you buy almost compulsively, have no room to store what you already own but keep on purchasing, and are forced to completely re-organise rooms in order to store what you have.

Or, uh, so I'd guess.

(I'll post mine if you post yours.)

Quote: Rose2010 @ January 15 2012, 5:05 PM GMT

Is there an equivalent site -- though how could it ever be as good? :) -- about British television drama?

Not AFAIK. I doubt it'd even be possible, as it would encompass the never-ending realm of soap operas. There are a few message boards around which could play a roughly equivalent role to this though. Somewhere like BritMovie, whilst primarily geared toward cinema rather than television, would probably be a good place to start: http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/

Funny you should mention. I just had to re-organize to create more shelf space!

Okay, I love a challenge:

A Bit of a Do
A Fine Romance
A Touch of Frost
Absolute Power
After Henry
Agony
All Creatures
Are You Being Served Again
As Time Goes By
At Home with the Braithwaites
Barbara
Bill, The (incomplete)
Blott on the Landscape
Book Group, The
Campion
Chef!
Classic ITV Christmas Comedy
Clatterford (Jam and Jerusalem)
Cold Feet
Coronation Street, various
Coupling
Cranford and Return to Cranford
Dad's Army
Dalziel & Pascoe (4 so far)
Darling Buds of May, The
Diamond Geezer (Rough Diamond)
Dinner Ladies
District Nurse
Doc Martin Series
Doctor Who (Eccleston and Tennant)
Ever Decreasing Circles
Executive Stress
Firefly
Foyle's War
Good Life, The
Goodnight Sweetheart
Grace & Favour
Green Green Grass
Hamish MacBeth
Heartbeat
Hi-De-Hi
Hope & Glory
Hot Metal
How Do You Want Me?
Inspector Lynley
Jeeves & Wooster
Ladies of Letters
Last Detective, The
Last of the Summer Wine (incomplete)
Life Begins
Love in a Cold Climate
Lovejoy
Mrs. Bradley Mysteries
My Family
Man about the House (incomplete)
Men Behaving Badly
Midsomer Murders
Minder
Mrs. Bradley Mysteries
Mulberry
Murphy's Law
New Tricks 1 - 8
No Job for a Lady
No Job for a Lady
No Place Like Home
Norman Conquests
On the Up
Only Fools and Horses
Open All Hours
Pie in the Sky
Rock & Chips
Rosemary and Thyme
Rumpole of the Bailey
Second Thoughts (incomplete)
Secret Diary of a Call Girl
Sherlock Holmes (older)
Stay Lucky
Story of Only Fools and Horses, The
The Irish RM
To the Manor Born
Touching Evil
Two of Us, The (one series)
Two's Company (incomplete)
Vicar of Dibley. The
Waking the Dead
Whites
William and Mary
Worst Week of My Life
Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister

But I bet you have many more.......

I'd better post mine over in the collection thread...

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 15 2012, 1:01 AM GMT

Minder Box Set.
I got my copy recently and have had trouble with some of the discs loading and, on one disc so far, I had to have my television sound up to 43 on its scale to hear it properly. I normally listen at about 10 - 12.

I bought all of Minder on DVD as released by Australia's Umbrella Entertainment, which has discontinued/deleted them. Volume/sound was pretty ordinary throughout, but not abysmal. At least Umbrella had crammed on plenty of extra features and provided detailed sleeve notes, unlike the bare bones complete set release by Fremantle. The Umbrella releases were outrageously priced in Australian DVD stores, but then ended up in the DVD section of bargain tat stores, so I bought multiple sets, thinking they would make great gifts. I could only give two sets away, everyone else was preoccupied with f**king cooking shows and sing-the-same crap 'talent' shows.