Laurel and Hardy

To me, the greatest double act that ever lived. Can't believe there hasn't been a L+H thread before. Let's remedy it.

What's your favourite feature and short?

For the feature, Blockheads (Stan is left behind in the trenches after the war and has to reintegrate into modern life) or Our Relations (the boys' troublesome twins come into town on a ship and cause mayhem for the respectably married L+H).

For the short, Laughing Gravy (they're trying to hide the dog from the landlord) or Dirty Work (where they're cleaning the chimney of a mad scientist)

The boxset of the complete Hal Roach catalogue is available for under £50 now. That's 20 dvds of cinema history.

I've never seen a complete L&H film, but I've seen loads of clips and I think they're still funny even after all this time.

Always makes me think of Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse's sketch in their recent show as well, where they kept bumming each other (lmao)

I have had my eye on the boxset since it was 'just' £100. I'm definitely getting it. I agree, the funniest double-act and proof that comedy doesn't need to be great dialogue. Again, I don't know the films by name but I remember watching a lot when I was young and I watch the odd one when I see them on.

I'm also a big fan of Chaplin who travelled to the US for the first time with fellow Brit Stan Laurel.

I remember Ricky Gervais saying that Hardy's despairing look at the camera inspired him to do the same with David Brent in the Office.

They were always on TV when I was preschool age.
And Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton.

They were all brilliant.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ January 15, 2008, 12:35 PM

I remember Ricky Gervais saying that Hardy's despairing look at the camera inspired him to do the same with David Brent in the Office.

It was mainly with Martin Freeman's character, Tim.

Also, I saw a Laurel & Hardy boxset for sale in Virgin Megastore, Tottenham Court Road, for really really cheap, the other day. I think it was about £50 for a boxset of pretty much all their films. I was very tempted to buy it.

I only vaguely remember the films from school summer holidays. The one where they go to University and Stan keeps getting hit on the head alternating between genius and idiot I remember as being very funny.

Quote: Eat_My_Shirts @ January 15, 2008, 12:45 PM

Virgin Megastore, Tottenham Court Road

I think you mean 'zavvi.co.uk'.

Seriously, what a ridiculous name for a shop.

Quote: Aaron @ January 15, 2008, 2:43 PM

I think you mean 'zavvi.co.uk'.

Seriously, what a ridiculous name for a shop.

WTF. wow..I didn't even realise. Huh?

Anyway, who here has heard about the theory that Clint Eastwood is Stan Laurels "illegitimate" son? Errr :D

If you come to my house you will see black & white framed prints of these guys. More for my hubs than me though.
They are loveable!

I'm afraid I'm with Captain Blackadder on this one guys. In the minority of one again.

L&H yes, yes greatest double act of all time... and timeless somehow... gobsmackingly funny! Laughing out loud

Lee & Herring?

Quote: Charley @ January 15, 2008, 2:54 PM

If you come to my house you will see black & white framed prints of these guys.

Laurel and Hardy, Lennon, and Monroe, would be the heroes I wish I could have met (and probably irritated the piss out of them too, btw).

Yes, to timeless too, Frankie. :)

Quote: ContainsNuts @ January 15, 2008, 12:35 PM

And Bottom owes a great (and often uncommented) debt to the lads.

It was mainly with Martin Freeman's character, Tim. - quote.

I never realised that, but it's true now you mention it. Martin Freeman and the lad that plays gavin from Gavin and Stacey had a 'sigh' off on Never Mind The Buzzcocks the other week which was brilliant.

I really should check out these old masters.

Quote: SlagA @ January 15, 2008, 10:43 AM

To me, the greatest double act that ever lived. Can't believe there hasn't been a L+H thread before. Let's remedy it.

What's your favourite feature and short?

Ooh - what a great thread. Thanks Mr Slag. I'm assuming you posted in "Foreign" cos they were Hollywood-made films, and you weren't selling Mr Laurel's Cumbrian heritage short!

For feature I will have to say "Way Out West". Despite the claims of the two you said and "Sons of the Desert", Way Out West has such charming musical interludes and the best tickling scene in the history of cinema (okay, this isn't fact, but can anyone name one better?)

For short, the one that makes me laugh more than any no matter how many times I see it is "Busy Bodies" (the one in the sawmill). So many great moments I am laughing now thinking about it.

Not every film they made was great, by any means, but *they* were great. A unique double act, almost, in that they were *both* funny.