Comedies that went on for too long Page 3

There are some mentioned that took a dip but did pick up. Frasier and Minder to name but two.

Quote: David Carmon @ December 4 2011, 3:15 AM GMT

The Inbetweeners (If we can't have a 4th series then the first 3 meant nothing)

Eh?
I don't get what you're saying with that one.

The dip in quality of Red Dwarf was due more to one of the writers leaving, than it going on too long.

As for the Simpsons, it is pretty poor at times, but I, like millions of other people, would be very sad to see it go. It's the only T.V. show left that's been on since my childhood - well, that is unless you include Red Dwarf, which is coming back next year.

I raise you the news.

I thought Citizen Smith was patchy towards the end and Open All Hours had just reached its limit. It's nice to be back, by the way.

Please, Mrs. Brown's Boys. One episode was annoying; two, over the top; hate it with conviction, I'd willingly execute them in front of their families.

I second "Little Britain". I hate comedies that repeat the same joke over and over and over just in a different situation. The 2nd series of LB was only repeated jokes.

Two and a half men - Two and a half jokes more like. I checked out a few episodes when it had the highest ratings for a comedy in the US. There are not enough words to explain why I hate this show.

Northern Exposure. Paul Provenza is a friend so it pains me to admit that when he joined the show went downhill fast - though to be fair it was not his fault as such...

They definitely should have forced Joel to stay. Even if it involved kidnap or torture.
That was just one of the best TV shows ever made.

Quote: zooo @ January 6 2012, 7:36 PM GMT

They definitely should have forced Joel to stay. Even if it involved kidnap or torture.
That was just one of the best TV shows ever made.

I agree 100% :)

Quote: Dave Hedgehog @ October 7 2011, 2:01 PM GMT

Oh hell yes to the Red Dwarf nomination. Count me in on voting for that show.

I love it I really do. Series 1 to 6 is the tits. But everything after that is manure. And as Biff Tannen said "Manure! I HATE MANURE!"

The one to take the crown for the nomination though is Last of the Summer Wine.

Rab C. Nesbitt.
Only Fools and Horses.
Still Game.

I disagree with 'Still Game'; it's not was funny as it was, but it is still funny.
Most comedies continue past when they should finish because people still watch.

Quote: mentallo @ December 5 2011, 6:33 PM GMT

I second "Little Britain". I hate comedies that repeat the same joke over and over and over just in a different situation. The 2nd series of LB was only repeated jokes.

I think they get unfairly maligned. They're not brilliant by any means, but there's still some good stuff in those latter series. Of course the criticism stuck at the time because The Office style comedy was all the rage and LB looked tired and anachronistic. Fast forward ten years and suddenly Ricky Gervais comedies are now getting the same criticsms levelled at them, i.e., that they're just repeating the same jokes and situations again and again.

Those Little Britain boys rode their stuff hard into the ground.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 6 2012, 11:19 PM GMT

Those Little Britain boys rode their stuff hard into the ground.

They certainly did, and the law of diminishing returns eventually kicked in. And the American stuff was shuddersome.

Quote: chipolata @ January 6 2012, 11:23 PM GMT

They certainly did, and the law of diminishing returns eventually kicked in. And the American stuff was shuddersome.

When talking about their Airport show, one of them said something along the lines of thinking there was more mileage in LB and they had considered doing more. F**king 'ell.