TV Review of the Year: 2011

Was 2011 a good year for TV comedy? We look back at over 60 of the big TV series of last year and try to make up our minds...

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/tv_review_of_the_year_2011/

What do you think?

Looking at that list of British shows, there were certainly more things I liked than I thought; but very few that I loved or would be passionate about. There needs to be a dynamite new sitcom or two this year, that can pull above to become essential.

There's loads of shows in there that I'd forgotten about! Even some of the good ones.

2011 was a forgetable year in comedy and we definitely need some killer new shows this year. Although isn't it a bit late for this debate now we're in shiny new 2012?

Quote: chipolata @ January 1 2012, 11:17 PM GMT

2011 was a forgetable year in comedy

Certainly For British shows, in the main. America of course kept the good stuff coming.

Not seen the Sky shows, but certainly not a classic year for comedy on the terrestrial stations. No outstanding new shows, and not much returning that I was bothered about.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 1 2012, 11:20 PM GMT

Certainly For British shows, in the main. America of course kept the good stuff coming.

Yep, I agree. There was some decent Brit stuff last yr like my 'king of the panel shows'.. WILTY but (and yes, I know it's got nothing to do with British comedy) there's still a lot of very good US TV progs too. For me, Fringe & Dexter at the top of their game regards to drama & Modern Family for comedy.

I started reading the reviews under each & then gave up.
But I will have a scroll down in a minute as it's quite interesting to see a list of all the Britcoms of the year.

It's not a complete list, Steve, just the bigger of the bunch.

It had all the main ones, it was good enough for me.
I Did love the first Burnistoun series
And am trying to catch up with Phoneshop as I've heard it's got alot better

I may be one of the show's biggest fans, but I have to admit that the fact that QI does seem to use the same guests over and over is frustrating.

In this current series, Jimmy Carr has appeared three times, Sandi Toksvig has appeared three times, David Mitchell has appeared three times (one of which has yet to be aired), Bill Bailey has appeared three times (again, one has yet to be aired)... and so on. As much as I like them, there needs to be more variety. I'd like to see a series where each guest is only allowed to appear once just to see if there is an improvement.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 2 2012, 9:04 AM GMT

I may be one of the show's biggest fans, but I have to admit that the fact that QI does seem to use the same guests over and over is frustrating.

In this current series, Jimmy Carr has appeared three times, Sandi Toksvig has appeared three times, David Mitchell has appeared three times (one of which has yet to be aired), Bill Bailey has appeared three times (again, one has yet to be aired)... and so on. As much as I like them, there needs to be more variety. I'd like to see a series where each guest is only allowed to appear once just to see if there is an improvement.

How many shows do they record in one sitting? That may account for the repetition of guests.

60 big comedy series? Christ I had trouble thinking of ten shows I'd seen across all genres on KevF's thread (He's the creater of the sitcom trials you know.)

Quote: chipolata @ January 2 2012, 11:01 AM GMT

How many shows do they record in one sitting? That may account for the repetition of guests.

Just one!

Re Argumental, I don't think it worked as well as it had done. Robert Webb seems to be totally out of his depth when arguing his case, which is surprising, for what I'd imagine is an intelligent man. Walsh has done ok, although his 'blocked nose' voice gets on my nerves. And, as much as I live Lock, I found Sergeant's lines funnier I think and it helped the flow of the show.

Also sad to see two of my favourite shows won't be back for 2012. Ideal and How Not To Live Your Life have been great shows for BBC Three.