The Royal Bodyguard Page 4

I wanted it to be good, but it was utter toss.

:(

Hmmm, just watched it.

Not bad as a one off but can it be maintained over six episodes?

I doubt it somehow.

A tired cliche of an idea executed without the slightest animating spark of invention.

I don't see this getting any better....felt embarrassed for David Jason.

The long hall shot of someone running down a corridor, then seconds later, running back the other way. Is this how far we've come ?

My wife and I turned this off after about 10 minutes as we'd correctly predicted every joke and sight gag a mile off.

It just seemed like a poor rip off of Mr Bean/Johnny English, perhaps it'd have worked better with Rowan Atkinson in the lead role?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 28 2011, 10:47 AM GMT

My wife and I turned this off after about 10 minutes as we'd correctly predicted every joke and sight gag a mile off.

Where WERE the jokes and sight gags? Just something silly happening is not a sight gag.

Perhaps Rik Mayall could have made it better.

Didn't watch this as I predicted it would be dreadful

Seems I was right

It's Christmas, let's bung David Jason in any old rubbish and it will get big viewing figures

Well not me matey

I felt sorry for David Jason having to appear in this sub standard sit com - the question must be, what did the suits at the BBC see in this at the script reading stage to commission it.

I sat with three generations of my family watching this so called sit com and non enjoyed it or laughed at any part of it. Some wanted to switch over to a shopping channel.

David Jason, you didn't need to do this. We remember you for much better things.

I'm on a mental recasting roll now. I'm thinking Timothy West would have been better in Geoffrey Whitehead's role just as I think he was a better Tim and Lucy's father in Not Going Out. A look of disdain or despair is just funnier on his sort of face.

I'm not the biggest DJ fan, but I didn't think it was that bad. Also, it doesn't deserve the scathing reviews it's got.

I don't think Jason actually "had" to appear in this.

I was disappointed with The Royal Bodyguard. It had the potential to be hilarious but instead I found it to be very dated comedy. I'll give episode 2 a go and hopefully it will get better. :)

Haven't seen this yet, but didn't David Jason do something very similar in the seventies: The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs?

Quote: bigfella @ December 28 2011, 3:56 PM GMT

I don't think Jason actually "had" to appear in this.

My thoughts too BF.

He can't need the money and, if he was unsure, he could have sent the script back with 'Shove it.' across the front.

So, one has to assume he thought it was OK.