Taboos in sitcom

People keep going on about sitcoms pushing boundaries and breaking taboos, but I think there are still plenty of taboos that have not really been covered in sitcoms yet.

For example, we've had plenty of gay and lesbian characters in sitcoms, but not that many who are transgender (possible example: Barbara from The League of Gentlemen) or fetishists (possible examples: Rodney from Only Fools and Horses and Dominic de Sade in Operation Good Guys).

Can anyone else think of characters who break these taboos, as well as other taboos not covered much by sitcom?

Interesting subject!

Transsexual journalist in IT Crowd?

Even comedy reflects the increasing taboo of not being attractive in step with pressures of real life- and presumably for the actors and particularly actresses in getting work. People can be unattractive for comedic value, but I often see female comedy actresses and comediennes with well above average toned bodies and it kinda loses some of the convincingness of the character.

And yes, I am aware that there are many people who this doesn't apply to, but it's definitely something I've noticed.

Me too.
Same in all TV though of course. Sadly.

I've only met one non actor with a nosejob in real life but on TV and film it's a good fifty percent of female performers. Very annoying once you start to notice it.

It really bugs me in comedy when the female character is much beter looking than the guy. As an example 'How Not To Live Your Life', when she was the femme fatale, untouchable object of desire she was a blonde bombshell, when she becomes the girlfriend she gets a dishwaher rinse through her hair.

I'd like to see a bit of realism when it comes to casting female chacracters, take note, if your male lead character is a boreish, misogynistic twat, it's highly unlikely he'll pull a hot chick, even if he is hilarious.

It seems to happen in real life often enough!

Gary and Tony used taboos all the time in Men Behaving Badly.

Didn't Uncle Albert have an anchor on his arm?

Oh, taBOOS. Sorry.

Quote: Badge @ December 27 2011, 2:53 AM GMT

Gary and Tony used taboos all the time in Men Behaving Badly.

Badumtish!

But yeh nice once

Quote: AngieBaby @ December 27 2011, 1:39 AM GMT

It really bugs me in comedy when the female character is much beter looking than the guy. As an example 'How Not To Live Your Life', when she was the femme fatale, untouchable object of desire she was a blonde bombshell, when she becomes the girlfriend she gets a dishwaher rinse through her hair.

I'd like to see a bit of realism when it comes to casting female chacracters, take note, if your male lead character is a boreish, misogynistic twat, it's highly unlikely he'll pull a hot chick, even if he is hilarious.

Murderers on death row get hot women writing to them and they've brutally killed people.

Quote: chipolata @ December 27 2011, 2:41 PM GMT

Murderers on death row get hot women writing to them and they've brutally killed people.

If that was an option over here, Sooty would be organising his killing spree right now.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 26 2011, 8:33 PM GMT

as well as other taboos not covered much by sitcom?

What about a farce about a young married couple who are actually brother and sister, desperately trying to keep it a secret from the neighbours.

Brass Eye's paedophillia 'special'.

Chris Morris is a genius!

Is this one the scripts you're writing?

Quote: zooo @ December 27 2011, 2:48 PM GMT

Is this one the scripts you're writing?

Sky 1 are considering it for the 8.30pm slot even as I type.

:D