Chewin' The Fat

A buddy of mine from Scotland loaned me his Ricky Fulton DVDs, I've watched them until I know them line by line but even though I know exactly what they are going to say it's still a good laugh :)

Iain mentioned that there was another similar series on the TV years ago called Chewin' The Fat but I can't find any trace of them on the www, were they just for TV or did they make DVDs of the series?

I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction, Scottish humour goes down well here in Nova Scotia (New Scotland).

Thanks.

Canada Bob.

Hi

I watched it a few years ago. If you type in "Chewin The Fat" on eBay you should find a few of the original DVDs on there.

Two of the main actors in Chewin' The Fat went on to produce and write Still Game.

Hope this helps? if you have no luck then please let me know and I will try and dig out a few DVDs I have.

There have been various DVDs of Chewin' The Fat available over the years: sadly now, all but a 'best of' release are deleted (not available 'new').

Here's a complete collection:

See Amazon product listing

I have that. Ker-ching!

Not really selling, I can't imagine anyone would buy a copy for the prices on there anyway.

I've got it too. Incredibly, I got it for £5 from the Birmingham branch of HMV. Good show that deserves to be more widely known. At least down here.

Thanks for the above, appreciated.

I had a look on eBay and there are some copies available on there, I was going to send off for one then I realised that they are all in PAL rather than NTSC.

Add to that my DVD player is locked to Region 1 {could it get any worse} :(

I know you can hack the regions but I'd still be stuck with PAL when I need NTSC.

Looks like the mire is deeper than just finding a DVD Teary

Canada Bob.

The PAL/NTSC clash should just result in colours that aren't quite right. Any half decent DVD player should be able to play the format.

Besides, presumably the DVDs you've borrowed from your friend were PAL?

Hello Aaron...

The DVD's of Ricky Fulton are Region 1 and NTSC, so no problem playing them here. I guess they were popular over here years ago, lots of Ex-Pats here so there's always been demand for DVD's from the UK and Europe in general, but no one stocks the ones that I'm after now :(

I guess I could get them from the UK and have them transcribed into mpeg {would it be} ? that might do the trick, but it seems a hellish way to go about it.

The sooner we get an international broadcast standard rather than PAL / NTSC / SECAM the better...

Canada Bob.

That does sound the easiest option on the surface, but unfortunately DVD drives in computers are even more anal about regions than standalone players are. I've yet to find one that I've successfully, confidently and reliably unlocked. You may be forced to go down the, y'know, *coughcough* Pirate route.

Thanks for the feedback Aaron, valued and appreciated.

I'll see what we can do over here, Iain is more savvy than I am on these things, so I'll have a chat with him at work on Monday to see what options we have.

Be great to get some new stuff to watch while we are off over Christmas.

Has there been any other Scottish Comedy the match of Ricky Fulton in the last few years, sorry to find out that he passed away, he had a lot of talent.

Canada Bob.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and the PM's, least I can do is give a mention to {another} buddy of mine here in Nova Scotia, not sure if any of you have ever heard of Jimmy Flynn ? or how you might get a copy of his DVD's, but Jimmy is a good laugh, well worth watching.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Canada Bob.

Still Game, as mentioned above, is a fantastic Scottish sitcom. Also Gary: Tank Commander, and although I've not seen them, I hear almost nothing but positive things about Limmy's Show! and Burnistoun. Info about them elsewhere on this here website. :)

Thanks for the nod Aaron, I'll go look if I can find them, hope you like Jimmy Flynn, his family came to Nova Scotia from Ireland, via Newfoundland, so he has the DNA of comedy in his blood.

Jimmy is of the Old School, he actually tells jokes...

Canada Bob.

I find it hard to believe there's nothing available in Canada as the boys toured there more than once and Greg Hemphill grew up in Canada and still has family there . . . even setting an episode of Still Game in Canada . . .

Yes, in the Canada episode the lift attendant going up the tower is Greg's brother.

Quote: Canada Bob @ December 17 2011, 3:40 AM GMT

A buddy of mine from Scotland loaned me his Ricky Fulton DVDs, I've watched them until I know them line by line but even though I know exactly what they are going to say it's still a good laugh :)

Iain mentioned that there was another similar series on the TV years ago called Chewin' The Fat but I can't find any trace of them on the www, were they just for TV or did they make DVDs of the series?

I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction, Scottish humour goes down well here in Nova Scotia (New Scotland).

Thanks.

Canada Bob.

Chewing The Fat is comedy gold.... spawned not only Still Game but also memorable catchphrases such as; "That's him at the masturbatin'", "Wank, Wank, Good Guy, Good Guy, Wank", "You're takin that too far noo!", and the legendary "Gonnae no dae that?"

Laugh? I nearly bought a round! Errr