Sitcom Christmas Specials Page 2

Quote: aquasplash3 @ December 7 2011, 7:29 PM GMT

My favourites...

Only Fools & Horses - Time on our Hands & The Jolly Boys' Outing
Birds of a Feather - We'll Always Have Majorca & Sailing
The Royle Family - Series 2 & 3 specials (didn't see last year's one)
Men Behaving Badly - Jingle B***s!

I didn't like...

Only Fools & Horses - Modern Men & Miami Twice
Birds of a Feather - Christmas in Dreamland
The Royle Family - The New Sofa & The Golden Egg Cup

I think Christmas In Dreamland is the worst episode of Birds of a Feather, even The Chigwell Years flashback compilation episode was better.

I like The Worst Christmas Of My Life and The Smoking Room. I seem to watch these both every year.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Office Christmas Specials which was probably even better than the two series.

They were fantastic.

Quote: Tim Azure @ December 9 2011, 7:08 PM GMT

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Office Christmas Specials

I did Laughing out loud

I felt the second special was definitely better than the series.

LOG Christmas special.

See Amazon product listing

IMHO one of the best bits of British programming.

Fupping brilliant.

Might watch it on DVD actually. Festive!

Watched Knowing Me, Knowing Yule the other week. Lovely stuff.

Steptoe & Son
The Royle Family
Gavin & Stacey 2008 Christmas special

Community has absolutely killed it with their last two Christmas specials, not many shows could do an entire episode in stop motion and a Glee parody yet not feel gimmicky at all.

There was a Morecambe and Wise one on last night, the one with the Julius Caesar sketch and Susannah York and Ian Ogilvy. I love the way none of them could keep a straight face throughout. Great stuff.
Ah, that's not a sitcom though...still get confuzzled by what's what.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ December 11 2011, 5:25 PM GMT

There was a Morecambe and Wise one on last night, the one with the Julius Caesar sketch and Susannah York and Ian Ogilvy. I love the way none of them could keep a straight face throughout. Great stuff.
Ah, that's not a sitcom though...still get confuzzled by what's what.

Doesn't matter, that show was great !

'Who booked the tall one? '

Good topic. My favourites Christmas specials are

Blackadder's Christmas carol
Bottom, Holy
The Vicar of Dibley, The Christmas lunch incident
Steptoe and son, 1973 special
OFAH, Christmas Crackers
The Royle Family, The golden egg cup
Men Behaving Badly, 1997 special.

Almost forgot, The League of Gentlemen, pure genius.

Also does anyone know if there was a Bless This House Christmas special? I have series 1, 3 and 5 but unsure if Series 2, 4 or 6 had a special nestled in them.

I have a vague recollection that there may have been a Christmas themed episode, but there is no special as such. They didn't actually make special Christmas episodes in those days, but rather produce short stories (about 10 minutes in length) that would go together with other contributions from the network's top shows of the year to be broadcast in something like Mike And Bernie Winters' All-Star Christmas Comedy Carnival. Quite the mouthful.

However, if you're lacking Series 4 then you are missing the 1971 Christmas Eve one-off All This - And Christmas Too!. Whilst not actually a Bless This House, it does star Sid as a very similar character.

Quote: Feeoree @ 5th December 2011, 10:21 PM GMT

Only Fools and Horses 'Christmas Crackers' and 'Thicker Than Water' are fantastic, though most of their 80s episodes were good, IMO.

Royle Family - 1999 and 2000 were great. Thought last year's one was a return to form though.

The Office Christmas Specials - More so episode 2. Warm and brilliant, and really spoke to me at the time as a) It was my first Christmas in full time employment in and office, and it amused me greatly how accurate it could be and b) I'd literally got with a girl I'd like for ages (like Tim did, though mine wasn't a work colleague). And a re-watch last year confirmed that they're still awesome. Showing the department store from Father Ted too, with the guest priests saying bits about the episode.

Gavin And Stacey - A fun and sort of realistic Essex Christmas. One of the best G&S episodes. Also, as Dennis Pennis said they've only done one, so it makes it a bit more special than others.

Plan on seeing Father Ted's special and the four dinners and Nativity specials of Vicar of Dibley this year as they always get overplayed and I have avoided them these last couple of years.

Going to watch Blackadder's Christmas Carol (a yearly must), Men Behaving Badly (the actual Christmassy one) too. Will try to see Dad's Army and Porridge when they're on TV.

Away from sitcom, I might watch a couple of Doctor Who specials if I have the time. Particularly last year's Christmas Carol, and Tennant's first episode.

It's that time of year again!

Would like to add 2 good ones from last year (in my opinion) - Hebburn and Not Going Out.