Dad's Army - Pike

I don't know the Dad's episode guide back to front, but does anyone know why it was that someone as young as Private Pike wasn't at any time called up? Is it ever mentioned during the series?

He did get called up in one episode but he failed the medical - flat feet I think

That's correct, blahblah. IIRC at the start he was too young.

Yes, I think he was just too young to start with, but as Blab said, when he did get called up, it was a false alarm, as I think he was a rare blood group and therefore couldn't be risked. Although he made sure he had his celebration fish and chips before he told Mainwaring. :) 'Stupid boy.'

Good answers boys, thanks for that?

IIRC wasn't there an episode also where Walker got called up?

Walker's exclusion always intrigued me, and I think that may be the flat feet one mentioned, but I'm sure he says it's because he's in a reserved occupation, and it's sniggered at by Frazier who then stirs up trouble by asking the others what it is Joe is barred from the army for. I think they came out with lots of fanciful reasons and someone (Wilson?) lets out of the bag it was flat feet. Or something. I'm very hazy on this one, I can't picture the episode it was.

Unless I'm mixing more than one episode up, as I'm pretty sure of the scene he says reserved occupation, and it doesn't fit in with the rest of it. Unless he said it in more than one.

Well I've just this minute finished watching the b&w episode that was on BBC that finished at 8pm. In that they were all joining up to the LDV and Walker mentioned in that that he was in a reserved occupation when Mainwaring questioned him about why he wasn't in the regular forces.

Reserved occupation? "...supplying important supplies".

But I'm pretty sure, fairly sure, that was Walker's joke, reserved occupation, a mask for the real reason he wasn't in the army. And fairly sure but not certain there's a colour episode about this. ? Anyone? I don't think I have this one as I haven't seen it yet in my lot, and I'm one colour series short of the Walker ones. Might be in that one, series 3. ?

You are right Alfred J Kipper it was a blood group - you've just jogged my memory. He didn't tell them until after he had his going away fish supper - clever boy!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 3 2011, 8:34 PM GMT

Walker's exclusion always intrigued me, and I think that may be the flat feet one mentioned, but I'm sure he says it's because he's in a reserved occupation, and it's sniggered at by Frazier who then stirs up trouble by asking the others what it is Joe is barred from the army for. I think they came out with lots of fanciful reasons and someone (Wilson?) lets out of the bag it was flat feet. Or something. I'm very hazy on this one, I can't picture the episode it was.

Unless I'm mixing more than one episode up, as I'm pretty sure of the scene he says reserved occupation, and it doesn't fit in with the rest of it. Unless he said it in more than one.

I believe it was because Walker was allergic to corned beef. I don't remember in which episode it was mentioned.

Didn't David Croft base Pike on himself, who was a youg homeguard member who failed the army medical?

Quote: Vicky Pollard @ December 3 2011, 9:23 PM GMT

I believe it was because Walker was allergic to corned beef. I don't remember in which episode it was mentioned.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the reason for Walker.

And Private Sponge?

Quote: Vicky Pollard @ December 3 2011, 9:23 PM GMT

It was "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Walker" which is unfortunately one of the three that doesn't exist in the BBC archives.

Maybe he was gay.

They didn't let 'em in the army back then.