BBC's contribution to British Comedy

Say what you like about the BBC but you can't deny them their outstanding contribution to British comedy over the years. I just attempted to make a top 10 sitcoms list without any BBC programmes and I really struggled.

Can you make one?

Just imagine British comedy without the BBC's input.

Quote: Ben700 @ November 4 2011, 1:44 PM GMT

Say what you like about the BBC

A great service for very little money?

Say what you like about the BBC

A company of reactionaries too obsessed with what the Daily Mail thinks.

Hard to do, but my top ten non-BBC sitcoms in no particular order:

Father Ted

Nathan Barley

Sean's Show

Spaced

Black Books

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Peep Show

The New Statesman

Drop the Dead Donkey

The Inbetweeners

I often find the Beeb's comedy to be a bit conformist. This is especially true of their radio comedy, always lovingly produced and often good, but tending to be very much in a familiar style. So perhaps without the BBC, the comedy void might be filled with more adventurous fare.

Quote: Tim Azure @ November 4 2011, 2:10 PM GMT

A company we're all lucky to have. Think of Brit TV and radio without the BBC. Exactly. Nothing's perfect, but let's not forget the current alternative.

Sadly true.

Say what you like about the BBC but you can't deny them their outstanding contribution to British comedy over the years.

Ben, the same classic shows would (very probably) still have got made, just aired on ITV and later, other channels. The BBC was extremely fortunate to be in the position it was, even when competition came along, they were almost a monopoly still when attracting the talent, due to its heritage and its Oxbridge connection. It had immense pulling power. The talent was there already, the BBC didn't create it, they just waved a cucumber sandwich and said 'come to us'.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 4 2011, 3:59 PM GMT

Ben, the same classic shows would (very probably) still have got made, just aired on ITV and later, other channels.

Many, many shows would not have been picked up elsewhere, even if due to sheer numbers.

Others might've been given a chance of the first series on ITV, but would not have been recommissioned. Blackadder for one.

Men Behaving Badly of course started on ITV and then moved to the Beeb losing Harry Enfield on the way. Luckily for us.

I attempted to make a top 10 British sitcoms list without any BBC programmes but I really struggled. Aside from Peep Show and Father Ted (Channel 4) nothing really stands out to me in terms of all time favourites.

Can you make one?

The only thing I'll struggle with is my memory but I'll have a go -
Father Ted
Peep Show
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
Spaced
Phoenix Nights
Black Books
A Fairly Secret Army
Whoops Apocalypse
Comic Strip Presents I think ?
Fresh Meat
It Takes A Worried Man
The Baldy Man
Bless This House
Up Pompeii!
On The Buses
The Lovers
The Bounder
Father, Dear Father
Keep It In The Family
Fresh Fields
Please Sir
Benidorm
Green Wing
The New Statesman
Brass
Mind Your Language
Man About The House
Cuckoo In The Nest
Robin's Nest
George & Mildred
Only When I Laugh
Shelley
Agony
A Bit Of A Do
Men Behaving Badly
Never The Twain
The Rag Trade
Bless Me, Father
Home To Roost
Love Thy Neighbour
Rising Damp

COMDRAMS
Minder
Budgie
Auf Wiedersen Pet
Outside Edge
Cold Feet

And others.

No it isn't - there's the Daily Express too. And The Sun. And The Daily Telegraph. In fact, every newspaper other than The Guardian (except when it comes to typos) and The Independent.

Up Pompeii's a bit tenuous I think ?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 4 2011, 6:25 PM GMT

Oh did that start on BBC? I only meant to put the ones on that started on ITV. I probably got a couple the wrong way round. Cross it off. No don't, it seems I was right after all.

I was just trying to show how many popular sitcoms ITV and C4 have done. They never get enough credit because the BBC hog most of the classics. That's still an impressive list most countries would be proud of having made.

Oi! :O I didn't know you had a channel section!! Would have saved a lot of brain cells. Okay, just go to the channel section to see the all the non BBC sitcoms. There are loads!