Comedy you want to like, but don't Page 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48Bz5rULDU

this nutter hahaha

The Monty Python films are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the series.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 9 2011, 1:27 AM BST

Same goes for Peter Cook.

Wash your mouth out.

Quote: zooo @ October 9 2011, 7:43 PM BST

The Monty Python films are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the series.

As complete pieces, though obviously the series had many, many classic sketches.

Yeah, I'm sure there were plenty of good sketches, but in the episodes I've watched the ones I like are very spaced apart!

I often think with the Python series, that half of what can put you off a bit is that it has an odd, muted, slightly distant feel a lot of the time. Not sure how exactly to describe it.

Porridge

Shock, horror I know, but I just can't take to it for some reason although every fibre of me says that I should.

:|

Anything with Rik Mayall, Woody Allen and Curb.

You have the same avatar as someone I 'know' on Facebook.

It's confusing me. :D

Quote: sootyj @ July 5 2011, 8:59 PM GMT

What an odd remark. It's not especially Jewish it's just sort of American upper class.

Seems a bizarre reason to dislike.

Personally I think alot of people can't stand that the sharpest, wittiest sitcoms these days are American.

I have been told by so many people OH YOU MUST WATCH CYE!

I've tried and tried

I just can't stand shows where Americans can only communicate by shouting and yeah, it's usually Jewish humour.

I found it too cringeworthy; their reply, oh that's the point, you're meant to cringe....well I don't mind cringing (UK The Office eg) but I also like to have the occasional laugh inbetween cringing, CYE doesn't deliver this for me. :)

Anyway, back on topic, I'd agree Alan Partridge isn't as well known as it should be - not over here anyway.

Might as well put my two tuppence worth in and say Blackadder. Tried watching it one night (2nd series I hasten to add) and just didn't make me smile even though I want to LOVE it!

Quote: Goose24 @ November 6 2011, 6:08 PM GMT

Might as well put my two tuppence worth in and say Blackadder.

You may as well have just said you like murdering children.

:D

Goose, I'd urge you to try Series 3 if you can.

Snuff the new Pratchett novel.

Just really meh, no good jokes, the story doesn't make much sense. It doesn't actually feature a murder mystery, which is what it's supposed to be satirising. And the main characters are just nice unremarkable people who don't do much.

And worst villain ever.

Quote: sootyj @ November 6 2011, 7:40 PM GMT

Snuff the new Pratchett novel.

Just really meh, no good jokes, the story doesn't make much sense.
And worst villain ever.

Kick a man whilst he's down, Sooty!

He's not down. He has a condition that didn't prevent him writing Unseen Academicals or Tribe both of which are fantabulous.

You sir should judge the man not the diagnosis.