RALPH GURNST HAS EVOLVED

Hello all. This is a silly thing I wrote for a competition on another website (DIDNT WIN), just had another look over it and quite liked it, though it might make a funny litle animation or something. Anyway, . . .

EXT. STREETS-DAY

MONTAGE

We cut between shots of everyday life, everything seems normal, except for the odd robot walking around.

DEEP VOICE:(OVER) It’s the near future, perhaps as little as seven years from now, perhaps more, its hard to say; but one thing is for certain-a woman is screaming.

CUT TO:

INT. HOSPITAL DELIVERY ROOM-DAY.

C.U. on the screaming, sweaty face of a woman; we cut back to reveal that the woman is giving birth.

DEEP VOICE:(OVER) Tish Gurnst is squeezing out a baby, but this will be no ordinary baby . . .

The doctor has the freshly born baby in his arms, he looks at TISH in shock, TISH looks concerned. We see the baby for the first time, it seems normal, except for the extra hand it has growing out of its forehead.

CUT TO:

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM-NIGHT.

TISH is looking down at her new born son in its cot, a doctor enters.

DOCTOR:Mrs Tish Gurnst?

TISH:Miss Gurnst.

DOCTOR:I wont judge, though that does make the child a bastard.

TISH:That bastard has a name, and its Ralph, Ralph Gurnst.

DOCTOR: Ive done extensive tests on your freak baby and have come to the conclusion that Ralph is the first of a newly evolved strain of human, Human Plus, or Human Point 2; we haven’t really decided on an official name yet.

TISH:What does all-(STOPS)-Person Mark 2?

DOCTOR:(WRITING IN PAD) Ill add it to the list.

TISH:What does all this mean doctor?

DOCTOR: That Ralph Gurnst is a threat to society as we know it and must be disposed of- (DOCTOR PULLS OUT GUN AND POINTS IT AT BABY)-and Ive got a gun.

Suddenly RALPH sits forward, his forehead hand snatching the gun from the doctor and turning it on him.

DOCTOR:No!

RALPH shoots him six times, as the doctor slides down the wall he slaps the alarm button. TISH panics, grabs RALH in her arms and jumps head first through the window.

CUT TO:

MONTAGE

Various shots of TISH and RALPH, at different stages of his childhood, lurking in shadows, in the sewers, on a TV game show.

DEEP VOICE:(OVER) And so Tish and Ralph Gurnst skulked in the shadows, terrified of discovery and gun death. And all went smoothly for 32 years, until Tish expired shortly after consuming effluent at a hens party.

We see TISH dead on the floor of a club, surrounded by hens and a male stripper in a thong.

CUT TO:

RALPH GURNST on his own in the street, adjusting the stupidly large head wear hes using to try and hide his head hand.

DEEP VOICE:(OVER) Now the next stage of human evolution was on his own-or was he? In some ways yes, in yet other ways-no.

CUT TO:

MONTAGE

See others walking around with forehead hands, being mocked and abused, pointed to ‘EVOLVEDS ONLY’ water fountains, etc.

DEEP VOICE:(OVER) For although Ralph Gurnst was the first, he was by no means the last. Others like him were now being born at an increasing rate; hated, feared, mocked; forced to take jobs as waiters.(SEE ONE WITH HANDS FULL OF PLATES IN CAFÉ, INCLUDING ONE CLUTCHED WITH FORHEAD HAND) Now they looked towards the original of their species to lead them towards freedom.

CUT TO:

EXT. ALLEY-NIGHT.

Several of the evolved are advancing slowly down the alley towards a desperate looking RALPH, who backs away.

RALPH: Please! Leave me be! Im just a 32 year old man with a hand in the middle of his freaking forehead! Im not Jesus! Im not Buddha!

DEEP VOICE:(OVER) So what does the future hold for Ralph Gurnst? Danger?

See RALPH racing away from a baker with a machine gun, who is firing and laughing maniacly.

DEEP VOICE:(OVER) Ladies?

See RALPH using his forehead hand to awkwardly unzip a woman from her dress.

DEEP VOICE:(OVER) Killer dance moves?

See RALPH and a robot dancing frantically.

DEEP VOICE:(OVER) One thing is for certain . . . (ECHO) ‘RALPH GURNST HAS EVOLVED!’

THE END

I can see a whole sixties ,The Invaders' style paranoid adventure series growing form this!! Or perhaps not.

I like it because it's unusual and well imagined. You've structured it nicely and it's FUNNY! Well done, Matt.

Thanks Fred, I do have a bit of a soft spot for this; think it would be pretty cool if it was filmed or animated, I can really picture it.

this is something I would really have to see, I see it been more visual than anything, I thinks its ok like I say its a visual thing for me I think.

Wow, what a vivid imagination! Excellent concept which I think really lends itself perfectly to adult animation.

Thanks Baumski, Id love to see it animated, I think it would work well. Paul, I agree that for many people this might pass them by on the page, if you cant picture it yourself right away then it probably does come across as flat or just not funny.

I liked it too. I didn't have any trouble 'seeing' it, so to speak.
There were a couple of lines that confused me, but I think they're probably just typos. Or me being stupid.

Quote: zooo @ February 4, 2007, 4:40 PM

I liked it too. I didn't have any trouble 'seeing' it, so to speak.
There were a couple of lines that confused me, but I think they're probably just typos. Or me being stupid.

Which lines Zoo? And thanks for the positive feedback!

Actually, I think there's only one!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 4, 2007, 2:44 PM

DOCTOR: Ive done extensive tests on your freak baby and have come to the conclusion that Ralph is the first of a newly evolved strain of human, Human Plus, or Human Point 2; we haven’t really decided on an official name yet.

TISH:What does all-Person Mark 2?

Should the 'does' be 'about'?

Quote: zooo @ February 4, 2007, 4:46 PM

Actually, I think there's only one!

Should the 'does' be 'about'?

Ahh, no, shes about to say her next line, which I think is 'What does all this mean?' but then stops to throw her own idea for a name into the hat, before restarting what she was going to say originally, after the Doctor adds it to the list. That line would probably come across better in performance. Maybe I should have added a STOPS HERSELF or something in brackets, before she say her name idea.

Ahh, I see. Yes, that would work.