The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 2

Quote: Chappers @ September 21 2011, 2:39 PM BST

Just Good Friends can't be underrated because it went to about 3 series.

I wasn't judging by the number of series, more the lack of much mention of it these days when people look back at their favourite comedy shows.

Nathan Barley.

In the UK, I'd say Dear John. In the US, Reba.

For me it has to be Surgical Spirit.

Just remembered TLC. Must buy immediately.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3438127/TLC/Product.html]
[h=716876]

Boom.

Was going to buy through BCG, honest! Cheers :)

Heh! TLC was great.

Ooh, anticipating-y. My mum loved it too so Christmas present sorted.

Quote: AJGO @ September 23 2011, 7:18 PM BST

Ooh, anticipating-y. My mum loved it too so Christmas present sorted.

And turkey feet and chips for Aaron as well !

Personally I think 'Coupling' is the most underrated UK comedy. I understand it did significantly better than some of the others mentioned this thread (in as far as there are four series, DVD releases and two box sets) but I think it's one of the funniest and most well written shows I've ever seen. When I consider the quality of the writing and the ambitions methods of structuring episodes I'd say Coupling is just as good (if not better) than some of the best loved BBC comedies such as Blackadder and Fawlty Towers.

Also I don't think 'Garth Marenghi's Darkplace', 'Man to Man with Dean Learner' or '15 Storeys High' got the mass recognition they deserve.

Garth Marenghi was a classic, but come on, Man to Man was pretty poor. Maybe they should've spent a bit longer writing it.

The most underrated comedy of all time?
Hello mum

2point4 Children

At it's peak it had 13 million viewers and managed high ratings throughout its run.

But unlike other high rating BBC sitcoms of the 1990s such as As Time Goes By, The Vicar of Dibley and Absolutely Fabulous, it is never repeated on the BBC or took any notice of by them, even being passed over for a full DVD release, despite being the longest running sitcom of the 1990s.

One severely underrated sitcom that got cancelled by the BBC was Legit. It was pretty decent so it was. I am sure they cancelled the show so as to make way for the more boring show Dear Green Place. That show was like watching paint dry, it really was. If ever a sitcom was a chore it was Dear Green Place. Nice one BBC, putting a bullet into the wrong sitcom (Legit). Just because Jack and Winston from Still Game were in Dear Green Place, you gave it a better fighting chance than the actual sitcom that had real staying power in terms of good comedy. I sometimes think the people at the BBC who make such decisions must be smoking cheap crack or something!