I Choked, Bombed and Died... in that order. Page 5

Quote: KLRiley @ August 10 2011, 7:46 AM BST

Whatever, one bad gig doesn't finish a career.

Tommy Cooper's career never really recovered from dying on stage.

Quote: Timbo @ August 10 2011, 9:51 AM BST

Tommy Cooper's career never really recovered from dying on stage.

:P

We have all been there! I remember being at a place where after my first line bombed, I had a complete blank and just froze. I started waffling on and after about 30 seconds realised I wasn't even telling a joke, and I just stopped and said: "I don't really know where I'm going with this." It was awful. It didn't help that I'd got pi$$ed before going up on stage! After that I decided not to drink before going up on stage again.

Choked, Bombed, and Died??!?

you sound like a suicide bomber who tried to swallow the detonator

I haven't done stand-up but I performed quite a lot as a musician. My first ever gig was pretty much just like your standup. It was at a friend's concert and he introduced me to the crowd and got me up to do "a few songs". I picked up his guitar and tried to sling it over me. Unfortunately, he's about 30 kilos slimmer than me so it wouldn't fit. Cue 5 minutes of me wrestling with a guitar strap in front of a hushed audience. I managed to launch into a song, and my mind went blank. I remember starting it, I remember hitting a dud chord in the middle and then sometime after that I finished. I blurted out "Thank you" and staggered off. I had nightmares about that for a good while after.

In retrospect the crowd were really nice. It wasn't even my gig so nobody was expecting anything.

What I learned:

1. Preparation: you have to know your act inside out. You have to be able to do it backwards and standing on your head. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. It may sound stupid, but get a mike and a mike stand and practice your posture at home. This way you'll be able to avoid fidgeting when you're up on stage.

2. Don't be afraid of nerves. It's normal and you'll always have them because it's a sign that you're gearing up for performance. As you gain experience you'll learn how to control the nerves.

3. If you're worried about going blank, don't think about your act too near the performance time. A little mantra I did just before taking the stage was to tell myself my name, my address, etc--any simple facts. This proves to yourself that your brain is working and helps to keep you grounded.

4. The audience aren't out to destroy you. They're just there to have a good time. If you smile and look comfortable, the audience won't know how you're feeling inside. Don't make eye-contact if you know you're liable to get nervous, instead look at a point at the back of the room just above the audience's heads.
Knowing how to "work" an audience takes a lot of time, so be prepared for the long-haul.

I remember reading that Harry Enfield used to puke every single time before he performed on Friday Night live. If he gets nerves, then it's fair to say that everyone does.

i mess up all the time, it is how we learn.Don't give up Dave Spikey didn't get famous till he was 40. Im sure he bombed a few times.

Went out with five new minutes and got put first on the bill last night. Absolutely stank the place out. Such is life.

Did pearshaped

did some new stuff

it went rather well

"I came on the tube, they took my oyster and fined me £50"

they liked that one.

almost as much as my Steve Jobs Kate Bush joke

Perhaps both of us having a good gig at the same time upsets some universal balance. Let me know when you're gigging next so I can arrange for some friends attend and yell "kiddie fiddler" throughout your set.

Bussell you forget I'm the Edward Norton to your Brad Pitt.

Quote: sootyj @ November 3 2011, 10:35 AM GMT

Bussell you forget I'm the Edward Norton to your Brad Pitt.

Then shoot yourself in the face and do us both a favour.

What and mess your lovely hair?

A small price to pay for the sweet succour of death.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 3 2011, 10:43 AM GMT

A small price to pay for the sweet succour of death.

Is that why you die on stage so often?

Booyah!

How do you like them apples?

Quote: sootyj @ November 3 2011, 10:46 AM GMT

Is that why you die on stage so often?

Booyah!

How do you like them apples?

*dispenses with idea of gifting sootyj with ironic symbol of masculinity and means of finding his spiritual power animal and simply gobs in his face and follows up with a fistful of lye*