The Fun Police Page 3

Quote: zooo @ September 17 2011, 9:32 PM BST

She was also in Miranda.
Leevil clearly just hates television.

Apparently she was in every episode of Torchwood: Children of Earth, but I don't remember her. Must have been mainly a background character.

She was the housing estate mother (and childminder?) with all the kids.

Also sister of the Welsh bloke that was in love with Jack. (I think.)

No, not seen any of them either. :D

Overall I thought it was pretty rubbish. But it showed so much potential and some great laugh out loud stuff that I will be really disappointed if it does not get a series. And it had both Katy Wix and Kerry Howard, so overall it was excellent.

It did feel derivative though, Howard and Darby seemed to be playing very similar characters to the ones they had in Reggie Perrin and Conchords respectively. While the show itself reminded me of a toned down We Are Klang.

Also I did not see the point of the therapist stuff. It was justified by the plot but felt unnecessary and did not fit in so well. Nor did I find it that funny.

Quote: Michael in London @ September 18 2011, 12:14 AM BST

It did feel derivative though, Howard and Darby seemed to be playing very similar characters to the ones they had in Reggie Perrin and Conchords respectively.

Not quite sure why this needs pointing out, people usually play a version of themselves after all.

I watched it and thought it was quite funny without being outstanding.

If I hadn't known it was Katy Wix I probably wouldn't have recognise her - except that thing she does with her mouth. (No - not the talking.)

Also her false arm gags were some of the funnier parts.

I eventually warmed to this after getting the David Brent/Gordon Brittas comparisons out of my brain.

If they can get them out of the script as well, this might be worth a punt as a series.

The ideas in it were funny, like the tiny furniture. But it wasn't done with confidence. Whereas Father Ted would have gone in at full steam, the performers here felt almost embarrassed by it.

If it let itself be what it is, I can imagine quite enjoying it.

Quote: Tim Azure @ September 19 2011, 1:24 PM BST

Not quite sure why this needs pointing out, people usually play a version of themselves after all.

I have seen both of them play very different characters. There is no need to copy form elsewhere, but by doing so it leads to inevitable comparisons which are, based on the pilot, not going to reflect favourably. They are good performers so there is no need to import from elsewhere, just create new characters and let the show be its own thing and not some kind of mish-mash. It is easy to like a pilot that does not work because of the potential it shows, but that cannot sustain a series.

Quote: Michael in London @ September 20 2011, 11:24 AM BST

I have seen both of them play very different characters. There is no need to copy form elsewhere, but by doing so it leads to inevitable comparisons which are, based on the pilot, not going to reflect favourably. They are good performers so there is no need to import from elsewhere, just create new characters and let the show be its own thing and not some kind of mish-mash. It is easy to like a pilot that does not work because of the potential it shows, but that cannot sustain a series.

Actually, Michael, I think you're in a minority. People are usually concerned about whether a performance is funny or convincing, rather than whether it is original. That's how casting works normally, you see someone in a similar part and cast them.

I'm all for new comedy and heartily support the Comedy Showcase and Comedy Lab but this was a let down for me. I thought the first couple of minutes was just a bad spoof and we would pan out to see people watching it on TV and the sitcom would start. Like 'When The Whistle Blows' in Extras. Everything seemed incredibly over-exaggerated, the acting, the laughing, the characters and I thought the plotting was predictable and not particularly interesting.

The characters just seemed to be one-dimensional caricatures throughout and how many laughs can you get out of a prosthetic limb over a series?

It's a shame as everyone's crying out for another IT Crowd (audience sitcom) and this had a great cast but it was just over-heightened all the time.

Quote: Tim Azure @ September 20 2011, 11:58 AM BST

Actually, Michael, I think you're in a minority. People are usually concerned about whether a performance is funny or convincing, rather than whether it is original. That's how casting works normally, you see someone in a similar part and cast them.

How can transplanting a character from one show to another, not being able to write it as well, and then having to make the entire show work with that character rather than creating one who fits the show be convincing?

I am not talking about originality for the sake of it, but in terms of it being funny and convincing. There were too many aspects that seemed to be taken from elsewhere and then forced together that I was left unconvinced by the pilot as an episode of television. And I do mean similar characters and concepts, not just similar performances. Within it I could see a lot of interesting ideas for a show I would like, but I would not watch a series like the one that aired on Friday. Shows need to have their own voice rather than being a composite of others, while I am sure there must have been some, I cannot think of any successful examples of the latter.

I think most of the criticisms contained in this thread are completely valid - but I easily enjoyed this the most out of any of the 3 pilots so far, although the arm gag has already run out of steam, and what was with Vic's ever-changing accent? (And why was he credited as 'Jim Moir'? Thought he only used that for his 'serious' acting roles?)

Rhys Darby was certainly reprising Murray, but I didn't mind that one bit.

Quote: Michael in London @ September 21 2011, 12:58 PM BST

How can transplanting a character from one show to another, not being able to write it as well, and then having to make the entire show work with that character rather than creating one who fits the show be convincing?

I am not talking about originality for the sake of it, but in terms of it being funny and convincing. There were too many aspects that seemed to be taken from elsewhere and then forced together that I was left unconvinced by the pilot as an episode of television. And I do mean similar characters and concepts, not just similar performances. Within it I could see a lot of interesting ideas for a show I would like, but I would not watch a series like the one that aired on Friday. Shows need to have their own voice rather than being a composite of others, while I am sure there must have been some, I cannot think of any successful examples of the latter.

Is this about Rhys Darby re: the boss character here and Murray? I actually think they are very different characters. In Fun Police he is the full blast ignorant confident, suited and loud boss, as Murray he is struggling, bland, empathetic and a lot more complex.

So apart from the similar look and accent I'd say they are different characters.