Dad's Army - Best episode

Happily working my way through Dad's Army -- I'd seen a few episodes sent on tape by a fellow North American British comedy fan -- and enjoying it thoroughly.

Just when I think I've seen the funniest possible episode, I see another that I think is even funnier.

Two recent contenders for the title -- Menace from the Deep and Time on my Hands.

Love to hear other opinions.

Also, I have the "complete collection" but am I right that it doesn't contain Christmas specials?

My complete collection contains the Christmas specials, but it doesn't contain the revived colour edition of "Room at the Bottom".

In terms of the best episode, it is widely regarded that the episode "The Deadly Attachment", in which the Home Guard finally come face-to-face with the Germans, is the best episode of Dad's Army, if not the best episode in the whole of British sitcom history and possibly in all of sitcom history (although I sense some angry Americans trying to argue that "The Contest" from Seinfeld is better).

In terms of personal favourites, I'm keen on the episode "High Finance", in which Jones owes £50 to Mainwaring's bank, but it is then revealed that he is owed money, and that they in turn are owned money and so on, so it builds and escalates over the course of the episode.

It has to be Mum's Army-an excellent pastiche of Brief Encounter, but there are lots to chose from. What about Museum Piece in the first series, guest starring Eric Woodburn as "Young" Jack Jones' father?

Yes, the Deadly Attachment, 'Don't tell 'em Pike' is technically the best probably, I'd agree, but there are some close runners like the stuck on the town clock, or the training excercise one.

And yes, with DA you probably get a lot of personal favourites, it's that sort of sitcom. Several I like on a personal level, Mainwaring's brother, Wilson getting promoted. DA was great at giving you episodes which involved you in the characters' lives, second to none possibly in sitcom land.

I like the Battle of Godfrey's Cottage... kinda moving moments there when they think they're about to give up their lives slowing the German advance.

'Asleep in the Deep' is my favourite.

The one where Wilson becomes the Honourable Arthur Wilson

Quote: Rose2010 @ September 9 2011, 6:36 PM BST

I have the "complete collection" but am I right that it doesn't contain Christmas specials?

Depends on the release you have; a Region 1 collection might not include the specials, but this Region 2 issue does. There should be 77 episodes in total.

Quote: lofthouse @ September 9 2011, 9:37 PM BST

The one where Wilson becomes the Honourable Arthur Wilson

I think a few probably qualify as best episodes. I think though 'The Honourable Arthur Wilson' is my personal best. Not only is it funny but it is also very clever and the tension between Mainwaring and Wilson is honed in on and reminds me of the tension between Martin and Paul in Ever Decreasing Circles. The tension sort of mirrors the war tension to me, too. Also, the conflict of ideologies. A brilliant ending too.

Now that I've looked at the package with my glasses on, I see that the Christmas specials are included on a final disc. Not sure why they wouldn't be on the discs in chronological order within the series.

Don't know the name of it but Jones is accused of cowardice and there's a lengthy flashback sequence which includes some outrageous usage of the word fakir.

Quote: happychef @ September 10 2011, 8:56 AM BST

Don't know the name of it but Jones is accused of cowardice and there's a lengthy flashback sequence which includes some outrageous usage of the word fakir.

Is it worse than I'm Sorry I Read That Again's 'Martha Farquahar'...?

Quote: Rose2010 @ September 10 2011, 7:03 AM BST

Now that I've looked at the package with my glasses on, I see that the Christmas specials are included on a final disc. Not sure why they wouldn't be on the discs in chronological order within the series.

Ah, sounds like you have the Region 2 set from 2 Entertain then?

Well, the reason is quite simple. By packaging Christmas specials separately, they can squeeze another release out of the series, and another £10-20 from the public accordingly. And the box set is - unless they've changed fashion against every other box set they've released - literally the exact same content on each disc as released individually, but with a different design printed on the actual DVD face. They've not gone through any of the silly expense of re-authoring the DVDs for the complete set.

Quote: Aaron @ September 10 2011, 6:06 PM BST

Ah, sounds like you have the Region 2 set from 2 Entertain then?

Well, the reason is quite simple. By packaging Christmas specials separately, they can squeeze another release out of the series, and another £10-20 from the public accordingly. And the box set is - unless they've changed fashion against every other box set they've released - literally the exact same content on each disc as released individually, but with a different design printed on the actual DVD face. They've not gone through any of the silly expense of re-authoring the DVDs for the complete set.

That makes sense. I will have to remember to watch them at the right time....

I read that Dad's Army participated in the "Christmas Night with the Stars" specials and there were four short episodes of which two survive. I don't see these listed on the episode guide for the boxed set.

Yes, I have Region 2 DVDs. Otherwise, it would be fairly slim pickings. That said, the only way I've been able to get Dalziel and Pascoe is to buy it from the U.S. Series 4 not yet released. Not a sitcom, I know...............

No, sadly no DVD company has ever seen fit to release either any of those Christmas shows (there were various, for both BBC and ITV), or any of the individual segments.

However, many can be found in private collections...