Top British comedy actors by decade? Page 8

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 14 2009, 10:23 AM BST

I can't believe nobody has mentioned John Le Mesurier! He's possibly the best there has ever been!

I wouldn't disagree that he was a great comedy performer, but didn't he always play the same type of role? To me, great actors - comedy or otherwise - have more range.

Quote: chipolata @ May 21 2009, 2:29 PM BST

I wouldn't disagree that he was a great comedy performer, but didn't he always play the same type of role? To me, great actors - comedy or otherwise - have more range.

Not sure about that. There aren't many who have range like Barker, Jason, Sellers, Rossiter. Probably cos they were trained actors unlike Coogan, Hancock.

Quote: chipolata @ May 21 2009, 2:29 PM BST

Well yes, he wasn't as versatile as Joan Sims for example, but he was so good at what he did, he sort of lifted everything he was in. I can't think of a versatile male actor who was as good (in my eyes) in different roles as LeMesurier was in one tyoe of role.

I've only just stumbled on this thread and haven't seen Geoffrey Palmer's name mentioned.

I'm sure other actors have appeared in more sitcoms but his CV is pretty impressive - The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Butterflies, Fawlty Towers, Whoops Apocalypse, Fairly Secret Army, Hot Metal, As Time Goes By, Executive Stress, Blackadder...

Doesn't really get the recognition he deserves I think.

Quote: Marc P @ June 19 2008, 3:58 PM BST

Let us not forget Stan Laurel, Charlie Chaplin and Bob Hope meanwhile.

Alistair Sim.

Bob Hope!
Driving him from Buckingham Palace to the Talk of the Town at 90mph!
He gave me a $100 note!
Then he stumbled over the cabling that was new for TV behind the stage. A 6ft drop! I caught him. He said as he regained his composure... "you earned that $100"

Bill.

Rik Mayall would be my choice for the 1980s/90s (Young Ones, The New statesman, Bottom, Filthy Rich and Catflap), although I'd like to have Rowan Atkinson on that list as well. I'll say Julia Davis for the 00s I love Nighty Night. I don't know who would be my top comedy actor at the moment but if anyone said Miranda or that berk from The Inbetweeners you need your head examined.

Quote: chipolata @ June 23 2008, 6:08 PM BST

Other than Tony Hancock, are there any more comedy suicides?

Cannon & Ball in "The Boys In Blue".

^ lol!

didnt Kenneth Williams do himself in?

Quote: lofthouse @ June 30 2011, 6:36 PM BST

^ lol!

didnt Kenneth Williams do himself in?

Hi LH! As someone above (not god) said; it wasn't proven one way or another with KW. In his later years, KW suffered all sorts of ailments, such as ulcers and IBS (I think), and often spoke about suicide in his diaries (great book, if quite depressing, if you haven't read it).

I believe his last diary entry said something like; 'oh what's the point?', so suicide would seem plausible. However, he loved his dear old mum so much that many doubt he'd put her through the trauma of his suicide.....she lived next door to him, so would probably have been the one to find his corpse.

I think the coroner recorded 'accidental death' (it was an overdose), but people have always speculated. Anyway, genius comedian (plus massively underrated actor) and much missed. They ain't making 'em like KW, Bob Monkhouse, Tommy Cooper et al any more.

Bob Grant was another comedy suicide.

Any votes for Barbara Windsor? I know she had her knockers...

;)

Quote: Aaron @ June 30 2011, 7:51 PM BST

Bob Grant was another comedy suicide.

Good shout, Aaron.

There seem to be staggeringly few suicides within comedy, given that so many comic people suffer with depression. It must be a vastly lower ratio of suicides within comedy than you'd find with depressives generally.

Must admit I smiled at 'comedy suicide' Aaron.....it sounds like the suicide was done in a slapstick way!!

60s - Kenneth Williams
70s - John Cleese
80s - Tony Robinson
90s - Gary Olsen
00s - Robert Lindsay
10s - Jo Brand (she looks like John Sargeant, who is a man)

50s -Tony Hancock
60s - Eric Sykes
70s - Ronnie Barker
80s - David Jason
90s - Richard Wilson
00s - Miranda Hart
10s - ???

Some well deserved recurring names and the most interesting nomination for the 80s was Tracey Ullman. She has really grown on me over the years and we don't see enough of her. She's got a lot of undeserved stick for peeing off to America before they made decent TV. In fact her show wasn't bad at all and she his great range as a comic and straight actor.