Attempting to start open-mic night in Bristol Page 3

there used to be stand up at mr wolf's years ago, I recall getting paid in noodles there once.

Hi,
I live in Bristol and have been going to the Cider house for about a year. It is mostly music but I've done some stand up there and they are a nice audience. It's not got a stage though and people do come and go but if you don't mind that it's a lovely place.
The only open slots in Bristol I can find are at a hotel called Channings. They have a night there called Oppo and is every Sunday from 8pm. £2 entry and they usually have 3-6 open slots you can book and one headliner (last week they had Rob Deering). It's quite studenty and in that sense is very warm and welcoming. I'd definitely recommend it!
I'm also looking for places around Bristol so am interested in being involved in perhaps organising something as I know Oppo only runs until the summer.

If Bath isn't too far for you, you're welcome to take up a spot at our new comedy night starting september: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22046/

And have a look at this as well, not a gig as such but potentially somewhere to practise material with other locals comics if stage time is hard to come by. Easy to get to from Bristol - 15 mins on the train:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/22145/

did anything come of this night? I have been promoting club nights in bristol for years now and have been thinking about starting a comedy night.. has this one taken off at all?

you could try Bristol's Acoustic Nights at Halo's on Gloucester Rd.
it features poetry and music, magicians its all about encouraging people to try out new things
heres a link http://www.poetrycan.co.uk/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=icalrepeat.detail&evid=88&Itemid=81&year=2011&month=10&day=10&title=acoustic-night-bristol&uid=b846fa9395e03fe3f67bf71b472d60c1&catids=35|63|61|60|59|62

there's also a calendar at: http://www.poetrycan.co.uk/index.php?option=com_jevents&view=month&task=month.calendar&Itemid=81

Hi everybody
Seems to be demand for open mic, so I'm putting on an Open mic hour at the Cube Cinema Bristol, followed by a great film. Ifthis one is sucessful it could be a regular event.

Here's the programme extract- take a look at www.Cubecinema.com

"Comedy Combo - Open Mic Comedy Hour & It Happened One Night

20:00 28/01/2012
The Cube presents Comedy Combo 8pm £5/4

An open mic hour plus a classic flick.

Roll up!
A chance for aspiring stand ups to polish their shtick and hone their wit in a small and friendly venue, followed by legendary comedy 'It Happened One Night.

Directed by Frank Capra, and starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, this was the first film to win all five major Oscars - for Picture, Director, Screenplay, Actor and Actress (as they were called in those days). A laugh out loud comedy released in the depression of the thirties, and just the thing to give you a lift in the depths of winter - and, oh yeah, a recession/depression.

Please contact Marian@cubecinema.com in advance of the night to book yourself in for a short stand-up slot...

so please do get in touch, and tell me a bit about yourself. Looking to book about 8 of you in the hour.
All the best
Marian

This interests me I will most likely be in contact once I am back in Wales as right now I'm back at uni in Lincoln

I will defiantly be turning up for the night, and I hope this really takes off. With a bit of luck if this does keep going I will book myself in for an open slot one day. :)

hi am interested in comedy open mic night in Bristol idea - another suggested venue is the Southbank in southville, I could make some enquiries as know the owner .
kate

Id deffo be interested in an event in bristol how did the event in January go? if anything gets going Id love to be involved,both performing and audience

Bump this - any info?

Thanks

Hi guys,

Im pretty new here, first post, and I'm currently looking in to hosting an open mic night in Bath in about 3 weeks time.

"So you think you're funny?!"

The premise is pretty simple, it's a traight up competition to see who the audience thinks is the funniest with cash prizes.

Entry will be around £2 on door (inc. performers) and the winners (1st, 2nd, 3rd) will recieve a percentage of this (roughly 30%, 15%, 5%) with the rest going towards helping to fund University of Bath Societies and Sports teams.

Acts will each get 4 minutes on stage and I would be hoping for 8-10 acts in total. Each member of the audience would have a voting card on which they would write down there favourite, in the event of a tie there would be a one joke tie breaker. Biggest laugh wins.

If anyone is interested please let me know.

Tentative date for this is 20th of March @ The Huntsman Inn, 1 North Parade, Bath.

For more information, or to register your interest, please feel to contact me via PM

Hi Bandy,

Don't try to start a "Pay to Play" night. You'll end up being universally shunned and hated by everyone on the circuit. Performers should not have to pay to entertain the audience that the promoter puts in front of them. If anything it should be the other way round.

I urge you to reconsider trying to charge performers.

Sorry, that was purely as this is a fundraiser. Im sure I could let the performers in for free :P