Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2011 Page 4

Back from seeing a bunch of shows at Edinburgh; Adam Riches was absurdly good.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 10 2011, 10:44 PM BST

But surely it's about practice until you get the experience?

Course it is, which is what I'm doing :D

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 11 2011, 8:58 AM BST

Course it is, which is what I'm doing :D

I think you know I didn't mean that, Nat. You have to go slightly above your level of expertise in order to gain the experience.

Aye you're right. I'm doing ambitious gigs as well as the 'easy' ones though- I've got my fourth unpaid spot on a pro bill later this month which is good seeing as I'm only on gig 33 (I think)!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 11 2011, 1:40 PM BST

Aye you're right. I'm doing ambitious gigs as well as the 'easy' ones though- I've got my fourth unpaid spot on a pro bill later this month which is good seeing as I'm only on gig 33 (I think)!

From Comedy Virgin to Comedy Ho.

So, my tips from what I saw would be:

Adam Riches

https://www.comedy.co.uk/fringe/2011/adam_riches/

Just hysterical; he goes through about five different characters, all fantastic. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Tony Law

https://www.comedy.co.uk/fringe/2011/tony_law/

This very website gave him five stars, and I can see why; just a lot of goofy fun. I also sat next to Daniel Kitson, who seemed to take off two or three layers of tops as the show went on.

Those two were my favourites, but I also thought Idiots Of Ants and David O'Doherty were very good.

Ben Dudgeon:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BenjieDudgeon

I've Just booked my train tickets to Edinburgh for the Bank Holiday. Keep those suggestions coming in.

I didn't go but watched that live show on BBC iPlayer... now I am sure there was loads of epic comedy there but ALL of that stuff featured on that show was crap to say the least! I hope that is not the standard... I would think it wasn't but didn't that Russell Kane win something last year? If you can win stuff with material like his, it really dose give hope for everyone doesn't it?

Lee Nelson got a new series from the BBC as well, anyone know how that happened? I realise I am just some nerd who didn't have the balls to go, and yeah they are doing shit loads better than me... but I didn't go because I thought you needed to be good to get in the fringe and on TV, not the case it would seem. Like I said, I am sure there was some cool stuff there.

So I will go next year. Please don't remind me of these comments when people throw eggs at me for being well shit.

Good work on the blagging front Nat, I'll bet your shows were loads better than that on the BBC. Hope it went well. :)

Quote: Badger Sarse @ August 24 2011, 9:02 AM BST

I didn't go but watched that live show on BBC iPlayer... now I am sure there was loads of epic comedy there but ALL of that stuff featured on that show was crap to say the least! I hope that is not the standard... I would think it wasn't but didn't that Russell Kane win something last year? If you can win stuff with material like his, it really dose give hope for everyone doesn't it?

Lee Nelson got a new series from the BBC as well, anyone know how that happened? I realise I am just some nerd who didn't have the balls to go, and yeah they are doing shit loads better than me... but I didn't go because I thought you needed to be good to get in the fringe and on TV, not the case it would seem. Like I said, I am sure there was some cool stuff there.

So I will go next year. Please don't remind me of these comments when people throw eggs at me for being well shit.

Good work on the blagging front Nat, I'll bet your shows were loads better than that on the BBC. Hope it went well. :)

I think one of the problems is that it's almost impossible to get a flavour of an hour long live show in the 3 or 4 minutes allocated on a TV programme.

I have to admit I watched Three@TheFringe on BBC Three the other night and hardly cracked a smile even though I know that the people on it are good live performers. I guess TV just can't capture the live experience, the old "you had to be there" thing.

Nominations for the main Comedy Awards are due to be announced around noon.

And here they are:

MAIN AWARD

* Adam Riches
* Andrew Maxwell
* Chris Ramsey
* Josie Long
* Nick Helm
* Sam Simmons

NEWCOMER AWARD

* Cariad Lloyd
* The Chris and Paul Show
* Hannibal Buress
* Holly Walsh
* Humphrey Ker
* Josh Widdicombe
* Thom Tuck
* Totally Tom

Quote: Ian Wolf @ August 24 2011, 3:05 PM BST

And here they are:

MAIN AWARD

* Adam Riches

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 10 2011, 11:27 PM BST

Back from seeing a bunch of shows at Edinburgh; Adam Riches was absurdly good.

Told you.

As the man responsible for collecting all the reviews from all the other websites and listing them on the guide, here is a quick look at the acts by their average star rating.

MAIN AWARD

* Adam Riches - 4.667 (only has six reviews mind)
* Andrew Maxwell - 4.125
* Chris Ramsey - 3.875
* Josie Long - 4.2
* Nick Helm - 3.455
* Sam Simmons - 3.818

NEWCOMER AWARD

* Cariad Lloyd - 4.333 (but has only three reviews)
* Chris and Paul - 5 (but has only one review)
* Hannibal Buress - 3.833
* Holly Walsh - 3.643
* Humphrey Ker - 3.875
* Josh Widdicombe - 3.5 (but has only 4 reviews)
* Thom Tuck - 3.9
* Totally Tom - 3.833

Mind you, all these stats will change seeing as how all the reviews will be investigating all the nominations they've missed.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ August 24 2011, 9:07 AM BST

I think one of the problems is that it's almost impossible to get a flavour of an hour long live show in the 3 or 4 minutes allocated on a TV programme.

I have to admit I watched Three@TheFringe on BBC Three the other night and hardly cracked a smile even though I know that the people on it are good live performers. I guess TV just can't capture the live experience, the old "you had to be there" thing.

Sounds true enough... However I did watch the next episode and that isn't great. Better, but not great. Maybe the BBC just doesn't pick 'em like they used to. Rolling eyes