Only Fools and Horses: The Bible of Peckham Vol.1

Hi folks

Just wanted to ask a quick question to anyone who may have the Only Fools and Horses scriptbooks.

This is a 3-volume set and Vols 2 and 3 are fine, but in the h/b edition of Vol. 1 half of John Sullivan's stage directions have been left out for some bizarre reason, and if you haven't seen the episodes you wouldn't know what the heck is going on half the time.

A real shame, because Vol. 1 covers all the half-hour, and IMO best, episodes.

I just wondered, if anyone out there knows if this was fixed in the paperback edition?

Cheers in advance.

No idea, but in an interview somewhere I saw (quite recently -- may have been that 'story of' thing on UK Gold) John Sullivan was talking about how he just wrote 'REACTS' a lot in the scripts and left it to the cast to sort out.

That was one of the things that annoyed them most apparently, he laughed. But Nicholas Lyndhurst in particular seemed to get it bang on each time.

So, there may not actually be that many stage directions in the scripts, is my point.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ August 15 2011, 9:35 AM BST

No idea, but in an interview somewhere I saw (quite recently -- may have been that 'story of' thing on UK Gold) John Sullivan was talking about how he just wrote 'REACTS' a lot in the scripts and left it to the cast to sort out.

That was one of the things that annoyed them most apparently, he laughed. But Nicholas Lyndhurst in particular seemed to get it bang on each time.

So, there may not actually be that many stage directions in the scripts, is my point.

Dan

Cheers for the reply Dan, good point. I think I've heard the cast mention this as well.

But no, many of the stage directions are definitely missing in that hardback volume 1, it's obvious when you read.

Further evidence is that Richard Webber's brilliant A to Z book on the series reprints the S2 episode script "No Greater Love", and it's got much more detail than as published in The Bible of Peckham.