Underused Characters

Which characters have been criminally underused in sitcoms and comedy drama?

Edith in "Still Game". Not that well known outside Scotland but really funny - look it up on YouTube. You'll howl!

Trigger in Only Fools.

Yes, Trigger had potential for much more than he did. As did the Major in FT. What both of them did though is make a big impact in the few short scenes they were in. But that was their function, so unfortunately this meant we weren't going to see as much of them as we'd have liked.

I always wished Carl Weathers was in more than three episodes of Arrested Development. Though there are so many brilliant supporting characters in that show, you could probably make a case for any of them.

The greased up deaf guy

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 23 2011, 7:37 AM BST

Yes, Trigger had potential for much more than he did

I think they got it just about right. If he had been in too many scenes it could have got a bit annoying - the novelty would have worn off.

Alright Dave :)

I'd say the 'Q'. I suppose it doesn't help that it usually has to be followed by 'U'. Of course, the more glamourous characters like 'S' and 'E' have no such limitations imposed on them.

Quote: Peter Brouhaha @ August 11 2011, 8:52 PM BST

I'd say the 'Q'. I suppose it doesn't help that it usually has to be followed by 'U'. Of course, the more glamourous characters like 'S' and 'E' have no such limitations imposed on them.

Just because the Q is used sparingly doesn't make it less glamourous. 'X' as everyone knows is a very sexy letter, but it hardly used at all.

Not sure how this relates to sitcoms, though...

The red headed kid in The League Of Gentlemen S3, with the Knight Rider car.
Brilliance.

Lord Flashheart and all the characters of The Thin Blue Line (which unaccountably had only two series).

David Brent's useless showbiz agent in The Office Christmas specials. It would have been interesting to see him in something else.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 11 2011, 11:33 PM BST

Just because the Q is used sparingly doesn't make it less glamourous. 'X' as everyone knows is a very sexy letter, but it hardly used at all.

Not sure how this relates to sitcoms, though...

The thread is about underused characters......I guess I took it too literally. I need to sort myself out.

The Padre in Darkplace.
Dan in I'm Alan Partridge
Toby Flenderson in The Office (American)
Slater in Only Fools and Horses
Keith in Marion & Geoff

Jean Ralphio in Parks and Recreation.