Comedy you want to like, but don't Page 3

The Thick Of It.

Yeh I found that sort of drab.

Quote: BuryBob @ July 5 2011, 11:15 PM BST

Having lived in Connecticut under the roof of a family of Jewish friends for an extended period of time, I would have expected it to have been much stronger comedy, I think when devising a character who is intended to be disliked it is a very fine line to get it right. Curb Your Enthusiam doesn't, whereas The Office (it's the only thing I've ever had any time for Ricky Gervais) does. A lot of the American comedies we get may be sharp or witty, but therein lies the problem.

Yes, I hate those sharp and witty American shows. What are they playing at? Don't they realise that dull and witless is what's really funny. ;)

Quote: sootyj @ July 5 2011, 11:30 PM BST

Yeh I found that sort of drab.

And the satire was a lot less sharp than they liked to believe.

Quote: chipolata @ July 5 2011, 11:33 PM BST

Yes, I hate those sharp and witty American shows.

I agree, especially when some abortion escapee likes to misquote to try to prove a non point to no one in particular. :D

Quote: BuryBob @ July 5 2011, 11:35 PM BST

I agree, especially when some abortion escapee likes to misquote to try to prove a non point to no one in particular. :D

By the way, nice pull back from your borderline anti-semitic "too Jewish for me" post earlier. Although the old "I've got Jewish friends, honest" angle was a tad predictable. :)

30 Rock. Watched the first series, fell behind on the rest. And whilst I quite enjoyed the show, it never was good enough to pull me back.

Quote: Leevil @ July 5 2011, 11:48 PM BST

30 Rock. Watched the first series, fell behind on the rest. And whilst I quite enjoyed the show, it never was good enough to pull me back.

Fupping hell, Leevil, what have you liked?

30 Rock.

Yes!

And whilst I quite enjoyed the show

No.

it never was good enough to pull me back.

Yes!

Quote: chipolata @ July 5 2011, 11:51 PM BST

Fupping hell, Leevil, what have you liked?

It is the very nature of this thread to make its contributors appear like miserable old gits (or Chappers Syndrome).

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 5 2011, 10:23 PM BST

I don't think there's any comedy I don't like that I want to. I have the best taste.

Quote: BuryBob @ July 5 2011, 9:31 PM BST

I know what you mean, I had a friend whose opinion on such matters I value highly telling me I simply 'must get into' C.Y.E. I tried, and tried, and really gave it a good go, four episodes in & I decided I think it's incredibly over-rated. Maybe the overt Jewishness is lost on this poor little atheist.

Overt Jewishness? What, you mean like the scene from one episode, where Larry David pissed on a painting of Jesus? LOL.

Quote: chipolata @ July 6 2011, 12:12 AM BST

So you've never looked forward to a show and been disappointed, Aaron? Which is essentially what this thread is.

And enjoyed a show but would have loved it if they did x, y or z.

Why would I want to like something I don't like? I might wish something was funnier that I otherwise liked, but that's it.

Everything about Friends seems pretty average in my book, apart from its popularity of course.

Quote: BuryBob @ July 5 2011, 11:35 PM BST

Bit harsh, Bob.

Quote: chipolata @ July 6 2011, 12:12 AM BST

So you've never looked forward to a show and been disappointed, Aaron? Which is essentially what this thread is.

Of course. Plenty. But that's more a case of hoping I'll enjoy something that I know nothing about. Not "comedy you want to like but don't", which implies some knowledge of said comedy when deciding that one wishes to like it.