What would you listen for in a podcast?

I've recently had an idea of setting up some kind of bi-weekly comedy podcast with a group of three people, it would be very informal and be more of a conversation between friends idea than anything scripted or vaguely rail-roaded. I was wondering if this is something that people would listen to or whether being an organised podcast would be more enjoyable

Personally, I'm bored of the group of people sitting in a room talking. Much more likely to listen if it was half an hour of funny sketches, as there aren't many of them around in comparison.

Dan

You would have to be very good.
Famous comedians that try this can and do fail miserably.

Gaervais is the master and some of his pall after a while.

Semi scripted and tested would be the way to go I would say.

I can do nothing but echo other's comments. Unless you're a bunch of quick thinking, brilliant raconteurs it's going to come across very unfunny.

Truth is: whether you script it or do it off the cuff, no one's gonna listen.

Jokey, banter-type podcasts are dead in the water.

I've never listened to a podcast and can't see the point. There again I am old.

I'm pretty old too. What's a podcast?

Quote: Chappers @ June 21 2011, 4:31 PM BST

I've never listened to a podcast and can't see the point.

What do you think they are??

Yes, there's a lot of guff, but there are also some great shows. Just think of them as radio shows on the internet.

Funny how as people get older they often become proud of all the things they've never done.

I like Bruce Springsteen, eating & drinking, and comedy. If you can combine all three into a pod cake, you've got yourself a listener.

My new podcast script:

In the day we sweat it out on the street drinking lemonade and eating ice cream.
At night we recite comedy stories from within suicide routines.
Stood on stages, hope we're doing fine.
Fate sealed, pun injected and a joke in every line.

Very niche!

Here's an idea why not record interviews with people performing on the Fringe (or similar)? I think basically you have to think as it as just another type of radio programme.

Quote: Ben @ June 20 2011, 6:10 PM BST

Unless you're a bunch of quick thinking, brilliant raconteurs it's going to come across very unfunny.

I've been asked to get involved in doing the podcast thing but Ben's got the reasons against nailed. I reckon because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Quote: Baumski @ July 1 2011, 12:48 PM BST

I've been asked to get involved in doing the podcast thing but Ben's got the reasons against nailed. I reckon because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

I don't think Ben has got the reason against nailed. Try it, and it doesn't work, you needn't broadcast it.