The Big Fat Quiz of the Year

The Big Fat Quiz Of The Year 2007

Did anyone else watch this last night? I've not seen previously, but made the enormous effort to tune in, and really quite enjoyed it. Jimmy Carr was great, and surprisingly, the interesting pairing of Jonathan Ross and Lily Allen were by far the funniest of the three teams (Brydon & Mitchell, Fielding & Brand). Felt rather disappointed that they didn't win, actually.

Mitchell and Brydon put up a pretty good 'fight', winning the show (by one point, I think) and being rather amusing throughout, but Fielding and Brand were painful. Preoccupied with being fawned over by an evidently overwhelmingly female audience, and too busy being 'wacky', to put any effort into wit (surprising for Brand, after his recent appearances) or humour. Noel showed quite definitively that just pairing random thoughts, words and phrases on the spur of the moment isn't funny, and generally showed himself up, falling completely flat time and time again. Of the pair though, Brand was clearly the superior.

And so I'll leave the floor open to zooo to argue otherwise!

And did you kow that you can't get pregnant up the bum bum?

I missed the last twenty minutes when I was made to go to bed :( I really enjoyed what I saw...and for once I too thought that Russell was funnier than Noel. Having said that, I was very proud almost that Mr Fielding didnt resort to jokes about rape and the like as much as Mr Brand because I really didnt find them in the best taste...
Lily Allen and Jonathan Ross were definitely the best pair-and the bit about her saying she couldnt be preggers, and now she is, was priceless! I am glad the swots won though :P

I guess the BSG is full of comedy purists. Brand and Fielding, AKA The Goth Detectives, were by far the funniest thing on that show. The wit and flamboyancy of Brand combined with the surrealism and showmanship of Fielding is a winning combination. To my knowledge, they are the only team to be used more than once on the Big Fat Quiz, while Mitchell, Brydon and Ross have all had different partners. Put it this way, how entertaining would the show have been if Fielding and Brand were not apart of it? Not very.

Brydon and Mitchell played their part well as the sensible team. Much better than Brydon's partnership with David Walliams last year, and Mitchell's partnership with Ayoarde(spelling mistake?) earlier in the year. Ross and Allen shouldn't have worked, but Ross made it work because he is a very versatile comedian, and he was certainly on form. It would have been a car crash if Allen was paired off with anybody else.

Carr was as good as usual.

Joke of the night: Fielding's Heather Mills joke: "She stole one sock of one of her neighbours washing line".

Anyway, I missed a few bits at the start, but saw most of it. I enjoyed it and my fave team were Mitchell and Brydon.

Lily Allen is just a deluded and imflammatory fool, in my opinion. Any chance she gets, she jumps up on her feminist high horse. Does she not realise that the feminists did win? Does she know what 'post feminism' is? I doubt it.

I don't see Noel Fielding as surreal in the slightest. He's just fashionista nonsense. I thought Brand was ok last night. I think that sort of setting is the best one for him - as a personality. I find his standup poor, but do enjoy his presenting and panel/chat show appearences.

Quote: Walker @ December 31, 2007, 2:44 PM

Put it this way, how entertaining would the show have been if Fielding and Brand were not apart of it? Not very.

Depends on who was there instead of them. They seemed to make little-to-no contribution though, so I think dropping that team altogether wouldn't have had much effect on the show.

I forgot to watch it last night.

Quote: Walker @ December 31, 2007, 2:44 PM

Ross and Allen shouldn't have worked, but Ross made it work because he is a very versatile comedian, and he was certainly on form. It would have been a car crash if Allen was paired off with anybody else.

I don't know enough about Lily Allen to comment much on her part, but Ross is certainly an unselfish performer, I felt, and didn't take every available opportunity to have a dig at her, but rather worked from what she said. Had she been with one of the others, they would I am sure have had somewhat of a free-for-all on the poor girl.

... Well that made sense in my head anyway.

Quote: Winterlight @ December 31, 2007, 2:54 PM

Lily Allen is just a deluded and imflammatory fool, in my opinion.

What do you expect with such a twat of a dad.

I only caught little snippets between other things. I'm surprised they could find a studio big enough for all those egoes.

Quote: Winterlight @ December 31, 2007, 2:54 PM

Lily Allen is just a deluded and imflammatory fool, in my opinion. Any chance she gets, she jumps up on her feminist high horse.

Really? I didn't pick up on anything feminist. Can you give an example?

Quote: Aaron @ December 31, 2007, 3:27 PM

Depends on who was there instead of them. They seemed to make little-to-no contribution though, so I think dropping that team altogether wouldn't have had much effect on the show.

I don't really see how you came to that conclusion. They brought the majority of the laughs to the show and contributed a great deal. They never gave that much topical stuff relating to the questions, but they aren't there for that, they were there to have fun and create fun, which they did.

If they were not there, their replacement would likely have been a combination of past comedians who have appeared on the show. Jack Dee, Alan Carr, David Walliams or Richard Ayoarde. But Jack Dee would have had to be put there as the serious deadpan act, which was already taken by Brydon and Mitchell. The only combination that would have effectively replaced the Goths would have been Walliams and Carr, but i for one can't stand overly camp humour. It would have been overkill.

Quote: Aaron @ December 31, 2007, 3:30 PM

Really? I didn't pick up on anything feminist. Can you give an example?

At one point she started trying to say that maybe Paul McCartney was the evil one, when it's obvious that Heather Mills is mad. I saw that as siding with Heather simply because she was female.

All she ever does is moan on about how women have it so hard because of men. Her blogs are full of it.

Quote: Winterlight @ December 31, 2007, 4:47 PM

All she ever does is moan on about how women have it so hard because of men.

Surely it's the other way round. After all - she did get pregnant.

Quote: Walker @ December 31, 2007, 4:17 PM

I don't really see how you came to that conclusion. They brought the majority of the laughs to the show and contributed a great deal.

I came to the conclusion quite easily - our opinions are obviously binary opposites on this one. I can only think of once when I laughed at what litle they came out with. Aside from the incessant (towards the end anyway), boring and pathetic whines for 50 points, they barely seemed to make a contribution at all.

Quote: Walker @ December 31, 2007, 4:17 PM

But Jack Dee would have had to be put there as the serious deadpan act, which was already taken by Brydon and Mitchell.

I'm not really sure about that. Brydon and Mitchell were the kind of serious, intellectual types. Dee would be the scowling, bitchy one, making snide remarks about most of the people and stories featured. Actually, that's a thought. Dee and Brand. I reckon they'd make quite an amusing pair.

i saw this last year and last night. both were brilliant. it's the funniest show of the year for me.
it's always nice to see different opinions on who was the funniest. i thought the funniest were...
1. mitchell - surprisingly sharp and brilliant. made me laugh a lot.
2. fielding - i thought he fell flat in the opening minutes but after that he came out with some gems.
3. carr - he's great on this show.
4. brudon, ross, allen and brand - all ok

Quote: Winterlight @ December 31, 2007, 4:47 PM

At one point she started trying to say that maybe Paul McCartney was the evil one, when it's obvious that Heather Mills is mad. I saw that as siding with Heather simply because she was female.

Oohhh yes, yeah, I remember that bit. To be fair though, maybe she just doesn't like him either, and so is suspicious of the both of them? If, as you say, she does write/moan about that kind of thing elsewhere, then ok. Yes, it's glaringly obvious that Mills is quite a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but I for one wouldn't exactly jump to Paul's defence.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 31, 2007, 4:49 PM

Surely it's the other way round. After all - she did get pregnant.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud