Extras Christmas Special Page 14

Quote: Nick @ December 31, 2007, 9:34 AM

The idea that 'WTWB was better than it should have been' shows a lack of understanding of comedy in general I would say.

Some people here said it was better than Extras which is ironic as the point of WTWB was that G&M were using it show what 'morons' liked to watch.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 31, 2007, 11:08 AM

Some people here said it was better than Extras which is ironic as the point of WTWB was that G&M were using it show what 'morons' liked to watch.

That says it all really.

So do we want credibiity or money?

I don't think Gervais and Merchant were using WTWB to be snobbish about mainstream, conventional comedy. Interviewed on the second series of Extras DVD, they make it quite clear that they don't have anything massively against knockabout, broad comedy (although it's clearly not their cup of tea.) The point they were trying to make with Andy Millman was about the price you pay for 'selling out' your original vision simply to satisfy the lowest common denominator.

And though WTWB is broad, sterotypical rubbish, Gervais And Merchant had to include some workable gags in writing those scenes to lend a convincing air to the show.

Interestingly, Gervais says that some people, seeing him in the street, have shouted the catchphrase, "Are you having a laugh?" without any sense of irony.

I didn't mean to make it seem like any criticism of Gervais isn't valid! Sorry.

He's just one of the few comedy writers/actors/blah/etc that hasn't disappointed me yet. (notice the yet, there's always time, Gervais.) Even the Boosh have done the odd thing I don't like.

People say "When the whistle blows" is funnier but you only get bits and pieces. I doubt whether they had any real storylines for it.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 31, 2007, 10:07 AM

Does anyone truly think that even a tenth of the effort and creativity went into writing and producing shows like 'The Catherine Tate Christmas Special', for example?

Effort and creativity does not equate to good.

The Christmas special was an outstanding piece of television. I don't know how anyone could complain. It wasn't trying to be overly funny, the characters all shined, there were some moments i would class as genius, and above all else, it never dragged despite it's length. I have no criticisms.

Quote: Aaron @ December 31, 2007, 1:08 PM

This from someone who likes 'Tittybangbang'?

a) I don't like Tittybangbang.
b) Eh?

Quote: Aaron @ December 31, 2007, 1:08 PM

Maybe but enough people did like it - so yah booh sucks!

Quote: David Chapman @ December 31, 2007, 3:18 PM

Maybe but enough people did like it - so yah booh sucks!

I liked it.

Quote: Nick @ December 31, 2007, 9:34 AM

I have to say that some of the comments from 'writers' on this board about Extras seem extraordinarily pretentious. To focus on one line of a show or how shots were framed seems pedantic it's rather sad if people actively look for things to criticise.

The idea that 'WTWB was better than it should have been' shows a lack of understanding of comedy in general I would say.

I thought that the special was imperfect but there were a number of laugh out loud moments and it was one of the best shows broadcast over Christmas.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/example

Careful everyone, you don't want to get hit by one of the toys from the pram.

It's not pretentious to offer a considered response but it is ignorant to not bother reading it properly and then deciding to comment on it anyway. I'm not being a pseud, it's called intellect.

And I find it rather mean to place inverted commas around 'writers'.

Not to get argumentative, James - you said it was an example, fair enough, I understand what you mean. Are there any other examples that stood out to you in the same way? If so, what?