Russell Brand "My Booky Wook" Page 2

I look forward to reading it when my local library service can provide it. As the f**king government FORCE me to pay for this service, I buy my books by using it.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 25, 2007, 6:20 PM

Yeah on his radio show, he needed an image change, something that made him stand-out,

So for his radio show he changed the way he dressed and his hair!

Did you see him on Graham Norton.

While he was reading extracts from his book Norton looked at his hand and commented on his jewellery.

Brand came back with "I can't believe that Biggins and Norton are commenting on my ring"

I'm about half way through it. It is a pretty good read. I sort of like that he has implemented his rambling style of comedy routine into the book, but i don't think it works that well. 10 out of 10 for effort though.

Anyone who likes reading stand up biographys should get 'BORN STANDING UP' by Steve Martin, a fantastic read. Yes, Martin may only appear in shit these days, but he didnt always, and once upon a time he was one of the greatest, silliest stand ups in the world. Buy his 'Lets Get Small' comedy album, brilliant stuff.

I did see that Steve Martin book somewhere the other day and wondered if it was worth the purchase. Is it simply about his stand up career or his whole career?

thanks for the tip. i'll try that.
i so wish that my dad had taken me to thailand to have sex with prostitutes when i was a nipper.

any other good comedy/writing biographies people can recommend?
i hugely enjoyed ADVENTURES IN THE SCREENTRADE by william goldman. i think that's what it is called.

Quote: Winterlight @ December 31, 2007, 4:49 PM

I did see that Steve Martin book somewhere the other day and wondered if it was worth the purchase. Is it simply about his stand up career or his whole career?

I just got it a few days back for 8 pounds from waterstones in hardback. Its about his years as a stand up; well, from birth through to struggling stand up to wildly super succesful stand up to walking away from stand up and never doing it again after getting too big.

I suppose that leaves him room, if he wants to, to do one about his work as a film star.

Quote: johnny roulette @ December 31, 2007, 5:01 PM

any other good comedy/writing biographies people can recommend?
i hugely enjoyed ADVENTURES IN THE SCREENTRADE by william goldman. i think that's what it is called.

The palin diaries, about the Python years, that was out last year is really good.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 31, 2007, 3:35 PM

Anyone who likes reading stand up biographys should get 'BORN STANDING UP' by Steve Martin, a fantastic read.

I prefer to read sitting down.

Vic Reeves 'ME:MOIR' is another good one.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 31, 2007, 6:19 PM

Vic Reeves 'ME:MOIR' is another good one.

I got that last Christmas - ie. 2006 - and I'm still only about 3/4 through it. Good though because he's just naturally funny.

i'm about three quarters through russell's booky wook and he's really starting to annoy me.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 30, 2007, 2:26 PM

So for his radio show he changed the way he dressed and his hair!

No, what I wrote was in answer to the question.."Has he mentioned why he suddenly changed his image...?". I meant it in.."Yes he has mentioned that on his radio show"

Quote: Martin Holmes @ January 2, 2008, 4:28 PM

No, what I wrote was in answer to the question.."Has he mentioned why he suddenly changed his image...?". I meant it in.."Yes he has mentioned that on his radio show"

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Griff @ January 2, 2008, 4:12 PM

"On Writing" by Stephen King is fabulous. It's half autobiography - some very funny stories about weird stuff that happened to him as a kid, plus all the aaarrghh! eeuuwwcch! stuff about when he got hit by a truck - and half writing textbook, where Mr.King lectures us on the evils of adverbs.

Considering I don't much like Stephen King's fiction, I found "On Writing" to be a total page-turner.

(Hi, BTW... I'm a long-term lurker who's VERY bored at work today so decided to join in the chat for once...)

Tell me some of the funny things that happened to him as a kid.

By the way, is it true he used to be a janitor?

"The bus was always coming."