Louie Page 2

Quote: David Bussell @ September 8 2010, 4:31 PM BST

Now this is a show where I think you can open up a proper debate as to whether or not it's a sitcom (if indeed it even purports to be). Certainly it really plays with the format. Sometimes the show feels like a couple of long, unrelated sketches that culminate in absurd payoffs, sometimes the show plays out like a drama (the comedy coming principally from the stand-up scenes). I watched one yesterday where Louie is threatened by a frat boy on a date that hardly registered as a comedy at all. Very enjoyable though.

I was thinking the same thing after the first episode (which is, I believe, the pilot) but the rest of the series reels in the absurd. Overall it's totally a sitcom, a divorced dad of 2 dealing with middle aged, single life and children... who happens to be a comedian.

Quote: MTpromises @ September 15 2010, 9:03 PM BST

I was thinking the same thing after the first episode (which is, I believe, the pilot) but the rest of the series reels in the absurd. Overall it's totally a sitcom, a divorced dad of 2 dealing with middle aged, single life and children... who happens to be a comedian.

SPOILERS!

Are we talking about the first episode with the fleet of limousines and the helicopter escape? Because that's not exactly lacking in absurdity.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 16 2010, 7:56 AM BST

SPOILERS!

Are we talking about the first episode with the fleet of limousines and the helicopter escape? Because that's not exactly lacking in absurdity.

Yea, that is the first episode and the pilot (just wiki'ed it). The rest of the series really doesn't have anything like it.

Watching the second half of the season now, it's just such a brilliant show. It's really an 'auteur' piece, too; with Louis CK writing it all, starring, directing and even editing the show on his laptop. F/X just forward him the money, and then he makes what he wants and hands it over. It must almost be one of a kind in that respect; even Larry David doesn't exert as much control over Curb.

Louie may well have been the best comedy of 2010, certainly the best new show.

Quote: MTpromises @ January 8 2011, 7:01 PM GMT

Louie may well have been the best comedy of 2010, certainly the best new show.

MT, do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if/when the new series will be airing?

I know there is a second series coming, and I heard Louie talking about it in a podcast, but I'm not sure exactly when. I suppose it may end up being later in the year rather than earlier, seeing as how he has to write it all.

I'd guess it'd be the summer like the last series; FX has been pretty consistent with releasing Always Sunny in the fall every year.

Louie was a revelation. Smart, funny and thought provoking. Beautifully shot too.

This needs to be plastered over UK TV because I'm almost sure it'd go down a storm.

Series 2 starts on June 23rd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXRViQ7rRk8

does anyone know if/when this will air in the uk...probably on f/x

I've been on to him for ages and he is, without doubt, the funniest stand up since Bill Hicks or Steven Wright.

So this great, great show is back on for its second series, the first two episodes have aired (In America). Watched the first ep ealier and it's as amazing as ever. Find this show and watch it. Now. Or later.

I didn't watch much of the last series as I got bored of downloading it. I'll watch a few of this series though.

Quote: Ben @ July 2 2011, 4:33 PM BST

I got bored of downloading it.

Yeah, cos clicking a button is soooooooooooo, like boring.