Rape jokes Page 18

Yeah, the 2nd one, rape laws need a complete overhaul, there should be different degrees, that would be better for just about everyone. Clarke was pretty much right in what he said... Since this thread is about rape jokes though, do we have to call each other pig rapists etc to avoid our posts being flagged as off topic?

I agree with Zooo.

Knee jerk stiff sentences actually inhibit juries or judges from finding people guilty.

Which in turn makes the CPS less likely to pursue the case, which makes the police less likely to investigate. Which makes people less likely to feel they will be believed, which makes them less likely to eport a crime.

The modern rapist unless they have behavioral issues does not hide under a bridge with a club. They get their victims drunk, or groom them over time. Better to get them for 6-12 months the first time and throw the book at them after that.

Crime is not my area of expertise but Clarke is in charge of the justice system and a QC. What hacked me off were two things. He didn't seemed to know what the differences between the types of offences were and also failed (Mr Ed was also guilty of this) of recognising that as the law stands there is just an offence of rape (s.1 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 if you're taking notes). It applies equally to male and female victims, and also to male and female defendants.

Bringing this back to the debate over rape jokes, the approach to them is generally mysognistic and still appears to be acceptable in certain circumstances. Anyone heard Frankie Boyle tell a gay rape joke? Or is that an area that comics would shy away from because they don't care if they are labelled as sexist but wouldn't want the tag of homophobic attached to them?

Quite so Sooty, I think something ought to be done about women who are embarassed about sleeping with someone, then make out it was rape, it's a disgrace to the real victims and doesn't help peoples perceptions of whether they'll be believed or whether there's much point in reporting it etc.

Quote: sootyj @ May 18 2011, 8:53 PM BST

Better to get them for 6-12 months the first time and throw the book at them after that.

For real? Six months, which is six and a half years less than a bloke got for fencing a first edition shakespeare, and then after the bastard has destroyed another set of lives then really tell him off?

I think Clarke was right to distinguish between types of rape, of course he was, as there are different grades of murder now. Date rape that happens after a bloke has got all the signals only for her to be leading him on for her own weird pleasure cannot be as bad as an attack in the street from someone with a semi automatic weapon and some rope. The rabid feminists were just dying to jump on him for suggesting that some rape is not important. That is not what he said, you rabid lot! You know this. Go and lie down.

Quote: Vader @ May 18 2011, 8:56 PM BST

Quite so Sooty, I think something ought to be done about women who are embarassed about sleeping with someone, then make out it was rape, it's a disgrace to the real victims and doesn't help peoples perceptions of whether they'll be believed or whether there's much point in reporting it etc.

People who lie about being raped are repulsive. But I doubt the actual numbers are very high.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 18 2011, 8:57 PM BST

The rabid feminists were just dying to jump on him for suggesting that some rape is not important. That is not what he said, you rabid lot! You know this. Go and lie down.

Where are all these rabid feminists you speak of? The only people who have got het up are the tabloid writers. And they're just pretending to be het up.

Women do some times lie and exagerate about rape.

The same as people lie and exagerate about all sorts of crimes.

Quote: zooo @ May 18 2011, 8:58 PM BST

The only people who have got het up are the tabloid writers.

This is not true.

On a phone in radio show, and on a news interview, the feminists were jumping all over what he said, trying to make feministic capital out of it. The way they do.

Quote: sootyj @ May 18 2011, 9:01 PM BST

Women do some times lie and exagerate about rape.

Yep, as do men.

People are idiots.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 18 2011, 9:02 PM BST

This is not true.

Ah, fair enough. I can only speak from what I've heard.

http://www.falserape.net/false-rape.htm

41%?! andthat's a figure that turns up in all sorts of diferring sources

f**k it am I going to move to an Islamist country where rape is legal or turn gay, gotta make my mind up

Yvette Cooper saying "a rape is a rape".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mviKZjEGqWg

Quote: KLRiley @ May 18 2011, 8:55 PM BST

Bringing this back to the debate over rape jokes, the approach to them is generally mysognistic and still appears to be acceptable in certain circumstances. Anyone heard Frankie Boyle tell a gay rape joke? Or is that an area that comics would shy away from because they don't care if they are labelled as sexist but wouldn't want the tag of homophobic attached to them?

I'm not sure the approach to rape jokes is misogynistic at all, I think that's more the perception of rape in general. Like that Jim Jefferies joke about 9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape, from what I've heard there's no mention of whether the 'victim' is male or female, yet people assume they're female and make out it's a misogynistic joke.

And Frankie's made various jokes about gay guys, from renaming fairy lights to poof lanterns, a joke about gay Dad's, even a sketch about man on man rape in the 2050 house. Then there was the joke 'Watching Queer eye for the straight guy made me think that if I hung out with gay guys they'd give me fashion tips - in actual fact they f**ked me'. Which could be construed as gay rape.

A conviction rate of 38% and that is of those cases that actually get to court. Most don't.

It was a genuine question Vader. I didn't know whether it was a topic that Boyle had used. From what you say he has.