Rape jokes Page 13

Where as that's a passable joke the rape element is a bit pointless.

My version on the venerable 9 double entendre was

"Why do germans think sewing is pointless?
Because a stitch in time saves NEIN!"

Just looking through the old Sootyj back catalogue and found a sketch about a psychotherapist masturbating, whilst his client talks about being abused.

I do worry my self at times.

I was the tour manager for a popular British boy band when they went to Germany, it was my job make sure they didn't do anything regretable, it was an alright job but in the end I tired of the Nein to Five.

Or the classic

"German tourists think the UK police are against them, when ever they try to call it's nein nein nein."

Why don't Germans have flakes in their icecreams? It's a no no.

Quote: Marc P @ May 16 2011, 10:06 AM BST

Statistics show that one in a quarter of women over the age of 16 are sexually assaulted.

Every woman has been raped four times? Statistics really can prove anything.

Quote: JoLaw @ May 16 2011, 12:18 AM BST

I find it hard to put my feelings into words, so I'm going to use an example (not of rape, don't worry!) with some friends of mine.

I've got a lot of young, male friends (that makes me sound much cooler than I am) and when they're all together they make sick jokes. Like quoting one of Jimmy Carr's "tears are the best lubricant....I'm kidding, it's blood.", and "9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape", stuff like that.

Because I'm the girl, I tend to have more serious conversations with them that they don't have with each other. One of them, we'll call him Friend A, because if I called him a c**t it might offend people, once bitched about a mutual friend of ours who was dancing with a guy in a nightclub. He went on to say 'if she got raped later on, it would have been her fault.' I questioned him on it, and he went on to say that apart from the odd psycho, most women are in some way to blame for their own rape.

I mentioned that conversation to another one of them, who for the sake of logic I'll call Friend B. He just went quiet for a bit, and then said 'what a prick', and you could tell he was genuinely shocked. They'd been laughing at the same jokes, but had no idea of how different their attitudes were. Friend A was having his beliefs validated by their seemingly shared values.

One of the worst rape jokes I've ever heard was by Russell Howard. He described something as 'being as useless as Anne Widdecombe's rape alarm'. A lazy reference, and one that implies rape is about just wanting to have sex with somebody, not a violent act that's about abuse, power, control and violating and destroying another person.

People, including comedians, have a right to talk about what they want, I agree with that. However, they also have a duty to not be a complete dick. I have the right to stick to my opinion that Russell Howard is a dick for that joke.

Humour has power. It's a popular defence mechanism, and it can trivialise situations. Perhaps some things shouldn't be trivialised? Not when there are people like Friend A in the world, and he's not that rare.

Wow, you come cross as quite the misandrist. So one of your male friends made an off the cuff jealous remark and he's a c**t and a would be rapist, and all your other male friends are rape facilitators, I dread to think how you talk about males who aren't your friends.

Once again there's no evidence that these jokes have informed friend A's opinions in any way, none of the mentioned rape jokes suggested women who dance with men, or otherwise act provocatively deserve to be raped. I hope Friend A see's this thread and realises you were talking about him.

As for murder, nevermind it being trivialised, it's romanticised. Maybe that's what you should be worrying about, but then again, maybe it's harder to attack men when talking about murder than it is when talking about rape.

Good post

and misandrist is my word of the week

Why thank you. I assume you were referring to me!

I was indeed

Cheers, misandrist is indeed a good, and under used, word.

Quote: Vader @ May 17 2011, 12:06 AM BST

Wow, you come cross as quite the misandrist.

No, she doesn't.

So one of your male friends made an off the cuff jealous remark and he's a c**t and a would be rapist, and all your other male friends are rape facilitators

She said her male friend claimed that "most women are in some way to blame for their own rape". A despicable claim. Accusing someone of misandry because they take offence at such a vile remark seems absurd. Putting words into someone else's mouth ("so he's a would be rapist, and all your other male friends are rape facilitators") is silly and a bit unpleasant.

An opportunity to stop the name calling, reflect for a moment and bring a touch of much-needed gravitas to this otherwise fractious debate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7uGW3Av9ms

Wow, you come cross as quite the misandrist. So one of your male friends made an off the cuff jealous remark and he's a c**t and a would be rapist, and all your other male friends are rape facilitators, I dread to think how you talk about males who aren't your friends.

Once again there's no evidence that these jokes have informed friend A's opinions in any way, none of the mentioned rape jokes suggested women who dance with men, or otherwise act provocatively deserve to be raped. I hope Friend A see's this thread and realises you were talking about him.

As for murder, nevermind it being trivialised, it's romanticised. Maybe that's what you should be worrying about, but then again, maybe it's harder to attack men when talking about murder than it is when talking about rape.

It wasn't an off the cuff remark. His comment "if she got raped, it would be her own fault" was, which is why I questioned him on it and he went on to say that apart from the odd psycho, most women do something to provoke rape by leading a man on in some way. I also didn't say he was a potential rapist, I don't think he is. I didn't say my other friends were 'rape facilitators', either.

As for him reading this thread, I didn't exactly leave him in any doubt that I thought his attitude was disgusting. If he read this, he wouldn't be reading anything he didn't already know.

Obviously, you're right about murder. I have no problems with that at all, seems like a bit of harmless fun. As long as men are the victims, because I hate all of them. You caught me out, well done.

Laughing out loud OH well Jo ... Smarmy

Quote: JoLaw @ May 17 2011, 9:14 AM BST

It wasn't an off the cuff remark. His comment "if she got raped, it would be her own fault" was, which is why I questioned him on it and he went on to say that apart from the odd psycho, most women do something to provoke rape by leading a man on in some way. I also didn't say he was a potential rapist, I don't think he is. I didn't say my other friends were 'rape facilitators', either.

As for him reading this thread, I didn't exactly leave him in any doubt that I thought his attitude was disgusting. If he read this, he wouldn't be reading anything he didn't already know.

Obviously, you're right about murder. I have no problems with that at all, seems like a bit of harmless fun. As long as men are the victims, because I hate all of them. You caught me out, well done.

Well I seem to recall this thread was started about rape jokes facilitating rape according to some shoddy article, and how they validate the views of rapists, and now you're saying rape jokes validate the views of your friend, which would certainly imply that Friend A was a would be rapist and Friend B et al were facilitating this, unless you've now realised that article was rubbish, in which case fair enough.

If he's not a rapist, then he's entitled to his opinions, even if you and others find them unpleasant. Now if Friend A stated his opinions to Friend B, and they didn't like it, but Friend A continued to labour the point until Friend B lost his temper and murdered him, you could certainly say that Friend A provoked him, but that would in no way justify him being murdered.

As far as the original article goes, if rape jokes facilitate rape, then surely those old 'Now take my wife... really, take her" must have facilitated sex trafficking, certainly the ploy of making out you're going to marry a woman and take them to another country with the intention of selling them into prostitution, surely a worse crime in many ways. Those pre-alternative comedy comedians have a lot to answer for...