Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 2 Page 9

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ May 13 2011, 9:49 PM BST

I don't think he's very funny.
Repeating words over and over again while shuffling around a stage isn't hard,

Although it is quite hard to make an audience laugh by those means alone, wouldn't you agree? Even if you don't like it, how do you account for the positive reactions from those who do? Surely it demonstrates that there's more to his act than you suggest.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ May 13 2011, 9:49 PM BST

/...neither is taking pot shots at other more successful comedians.

I did think it was interesting that in the same show that he questioned Frankie Boyle's compassion, he was happy to be shown executing an entire family.

Quote: Nogget @ May 14 2011, 10:44 AM BST

I did think it was interesting that in the same show that he questioned Frankie Boyle's compassion, he was happy to be shown executing an entire family.

That might have been a deliberate juxtaposition, but the focus of Stew's (fairly mild) ire at Boyle was surely more focused on the point about making cheap jokes about vulnerable people (and C4 "edgy comedy" defence was surely the primary target of that bit) rather than a more general problem with offensive comedy?

Many of Stew's routines contain deliberately constructed contradictions, so the earlier point made about him satirising country living whilst hinting at the potentially violent nature of inner-city London existence was presumably no coincidence.

And still on the subject of "taking pot shots at other more successful comedians" - I thought that the Paddy McGuinness bit was relatively restrained and gentle ribbing, compared with what some of us might say about that man (and his joke). Personally, I find it massively complimentary to even describe McGuinness as a comedian. On the issue of BBC Three and its "Russell comics", I'd rather like to see Stew do a whole show on that.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 14 2011, 10:23 AM BST

Is any of us as clever as we think we are?

You told me you were! I'm nothing if not disappointed now...

Dan

Brilliant again, it's fantastic that this show is actually on. The inclusion of the Armando interviews into the body of the episodes themselves this time around has really worked well too, with just the one filmed sketchy thing at the end visualising some of what he's been talking about.

Quote: Nogget @ May 14 2011, 10:44 AM BST

Although it is quite hard to make an audience laugh by those means alone, wouldn't you agree? Even if you don't like it, how do you account for the positive reactions from those who do? Surely it demonstrates that there's more to his act than you suggest.

I see the jokes, but they're usually so drawn out that I see the punchline a mile away.

If he billed it as a spoken word piece then I might have enjoyed it more because he makes some interesting points.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ May 14 2011, 6:31 PM BST

he makes some interesting points.

Another quote for your next poster, Stew.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 14 2011, 10:23 AM BST

Is any of us as clever as we think we are?

I is more clever than I thinks I am.

:( Dr Sanchez, Please leave the lovely Morrissey out of this! ;)

I actually surprised myself by enjoying this. The previous series bugged me when Mr Lee repeated himself, but I kept an open mind this time, and found myself laughing a lot. I especially enjoy the dissections with Armando.

Maybe I am cleverer than I ever thought possible?

Quote: AngieBaby @ May 14 2011, 9:51 PM BST

Maybe I am cleverer than I ever thought possible?

That's what Stew wants you to think.

He's setting you up for a fall.

Good again. Haha and all that.

Me and JaneP were at that recording. You can see us right at the back of the balcony in the very dark. Well, you can see JP more.

Dan

"I'd at least expect Adrian Chiles to outrun a train - as it is he can barely keep ahead of the slow-moving cloud of disapproval that follows him down the narrow corridor of public opinion." :)

I've a confession to make, I just watched Episode 3 of this and it made me laugh...

There, happy now Stewart Lee?

Too late; you are on the 40-word blurb for the new WIP show:

Quote: Stewart Lee Mailing List

Stewart Lee - Flickwerk 2011.
Work towards new live show.
"Gigged with him. Arrogant twat." Japaneseboy, Chortle.co.uk.
"Smug, self-righteous, unfunny prick. Thoroughly unpleasant in real life." Donuticus, thestudentroom.co.uk.
"Embarrassing old man ranting like teenage student, labouring "jokes", deliberately unfunny." Tony Cowards.

To be fair, you have most of the 40 words, so I guess you could be considered one of his main writers.

You could get more punters in for your own Edinburgh show: "As seen as on Stewart Lee's posters!"
;)

Dan

"k.d. lang has let himself go"
Laughing out loud