Rape jokes Page 2

Quote: sootyj @ May 11 2011, 11:49 AM BST

Not entirely a rape joke, very much I;m an ugly bloke joke.

Quite well structured as well, but I can see how it would offend.

I agree on both points. I think it's an excellently-structured gag, regardless of the content.

Dan

I got told the punchline to a nasty rape joke the other day, but to be fair I was asking for it.

Quote: youngian @ May 11 2011, 1:23 PM BST

I got told the punchline to a nasty rape joke the other day, but to be fair I was asking for it.

Very good :)

I think you guys have hit the nail on the head; if a joke is there to laugh at, normalise or degrade the victim then it is bad- if it is subverting the act or degrading the rapist then it is fair game. Anything that perpetuates the 'she was asking for it' myth is automatically bad. The most common ones I hear are roofies jokes where the act is the drugger and there is no negative implication or subversion. These are bad, and the acts generally get a stony silent response from the audience.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ May 11 2011, 2:52 PM BST

The most common ones I hear are roofies jokes where the act is the drugger and there is no negative implication or subversion. These are bad, and the acts generally get a stony silent response from the audience.

Yes. Not all tradesmen are rapists.

I can't really see Rape as a funny subject matter, evidenced by the shortage of memorable jokes. THe only one I can recall is the old one about the woman running into the Police station saying she had been graped. 'Don't you mean raped ?' said the Desk Sergeant. 'No, there were a bunch of them' she replied.

I heard a tiny drumkit.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ May 11 2011, 2:52 PM BST

The most common ones I hear are roofies jokes where the act is the drugger and there is no negative implication or subversion. These are bad, and the acts generally get a stony silent response from the audience.

You say that, but sooty's 'Who would you go back in time and roofie rape?' thread went down a storm!

Quote: Will Cam @ May 11 2011, 3:04 PM BST

I can't really see Rape as a funny subject matter, evidenced by the shortage of memorable jokes. The only one I can recall is the old one about the woman running into the Police station saying she had been graped. 'Don't you mean raped?' said the Desk Sergeant. 'No, there were a bunch of them' she replied.

That's an OLD one! To be honest it's more common on the current comedy circuit, particularly with newer acts.

Quote: David Bussell @ May 11 2011, 3:05 PM BST

You say that, but sooty's 'Who would you go back in time and roofie rape?' thread went down a storm!

The Internet prefers a more sinister content to your average northern comedy audience.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ May 11 2011, 3:04 PM BST

I heard a tiny drumkit.

:O

but yes!

:)

:D

And on that basis say 1 in 20 gays are rapists? What are the terms they're referring to?

The other thing is, if rape jokes are so popular, then how many guys would make out they've raped someone in an anonymous survey for a joke? One could put forward a case for it being 6%.

And on that basis say 1 in 20 gays are rapists? What are the terms they're referring to?

My errors grow more gnomic every day

I have to admit, I didn't read that quote properly, I hadn't noticed the gay bit!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ May 11 2011, 3:07 PM BST

The Internet prefers a more sinister content to your average northern comedy audience. They're just happy to know the pies are on way and the bitter's proper warm. We had a southern comic once, made a joke about indoor lavatorys.
The things they get upto in that London

By eck petal!