Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 2 Page 5

I really enjoyed that. Lots of laugh out louds for me. :)

Seemed like he was going for a more mainstream audience to me.

Really enjoyed this.

Lee seemed different somehow. More comfortable? More cheerful? Less smug? Couldn't quite put my finger on it, but he made me laugh loads and I don't feel like I want to give him a smack any more.

Oh, apart from the ending, which I believe he lifted from a set he had many years ago. The punchline doesn't work without the preceding ten minutes of material.

Loved it. Apart from the Godzilla action at the end.

I liked the new episode, but that is because I like crisps. All sorts of crisps... plain... all sorts of crisps.

For those who missed it, he is the special red button feature: Stewart Lee Presents... Kevin Eldon.

Quote: Badge @ May 5 2011, 10:32 AM BST

Loved it. Apart from the Godzilla action at the end.

You fool, that was the best bit!

I was in the wrong part of the audience for that. I didn't dislike it, but I preferred the rest of the show.

In the wrong part of the audience?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ May 5 2011, 11:40 AM BST

For those who missed it, he is the special red button feature: Stewart Lee Presents... Kevin Eldon.

That was fantastic, thanks.

As for Stu ... I'm waiting for series 2 to 'bed in'.

Enjoyed it, especially the knowingly, knowing asides and play with the medium and delivery of comedy...

I very much enjoyed last night's episode - worth staying up for. It was interesting for me as I had seen him perform most of this material last Summer at Scarborough open air theatre where he was the headline act on the bill. Before I saw last night's show I thought that the material involving crisps and his grandad lasted about 10 minutes but I think it must have gone on longer. When he performed it live the structure was slightly different to how he arranged it for TV. Last night it seemed to be linked more to the fact that he doesn't really do jokes whereas live that was more of a side comment. It was the line 'He likes all sorts of crisps, all the flavours (long pause) plain (pause) all the flavours' that really cracked me up. Also the punchline 'the reconstruction process was time consuming but not particularly expensive' really did get a huge laugh when I saw him live. Maybe it was because the crowd was 2,000 strong but I think he went on to say that it got a good laugh here tonight but talked about performing it the previous night to silence and then went on to deconstruct it, but maybe not as much as he did on TV.

I think there were stronger episodes in series 1 but I like the slight change in direction. I like the references to the first series and the way he has changed his position from berating the audiences at home to berating the audience in the room. It will be interesting to see what material he offers up the rest of the series as I haven't seen much more of his recent material. He has stated on his website that the series only includes 10 minutes worth of material that is available on his DVDs, so that's quite a lot of new material he will be performing.

I noticed that some people have mentioned that he came across slightly differently in last night's episode. I think it's because he wasn't really criticising anyone, only the audience, but they know he's only joking. I still think he has stronger material than this, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I fell asleep moments before it started and woke up moments from the end. Damn the late timeslot. DAMN IT!

Anyway, I managed to watch it on iPlayer today and thought it was peerless stuff. Stewart Lee always manages to keep my interest even if it's discussing his Grandad's love for crisps for half an hour. I think my favourite part was the "JAPS GO HOME!" signs which just sum up Stewart Lee's distaste of the narrow minded sections of society perfectly.

Oh and I much prefer the Armando interludes to the sketches.

Quote: Martyn Jay @ May 5 2011, 5:13 PM BST

It was the line 'He likes all sorts of crisps, all the flavours (long pause) plain (pause) all the flavours' that really cracked me up.

Best line!

The idea of a nest made of the stalks of Rememberance poppies made me laugh so much. Way more than actually seeing it. So I could have lived without the whole sketch at the end.
I did enjoy seeing Godzilla swing a shopping bag though.

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YE9Kthyaco should be shown to anyone who is new to Stewart Lee and wants to know what he's all about - just pure genius.

As a huge fan of Stew, I found this first installment very disappointing. It was the least well-constructed and thoughtful set I've ever seen from him. To self-critique and deconstruct stand-up and his joke-free reputation works really well when there is a routine of substance underpinning the technique - but this was just a frivolous, rambling set within which there were no interesting points made whatsoever. It was a routine that was all surface and no substance. It was truly strange - Stew smiling far too much/glibly, whilst delivering a set which was almost self-parody. The sketch stuff at the end was dreadful, but by that point I was just waiting for the programme to end anyway.

I'm genuinely confused as to why he would put this episode out. Crossing my fingers for a return to form next week.