The Marriage Ref

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000530/demot_oleary_the_marriage_ref/

I can hardly wait.

:|

They're looking for contestants. Perhaps one of the BCG couples could apply?

You and Ellie?

Quote: zooo @ May 3 2011, 6:40 PM BST

You and Ellie?

I'd love to, but we never argue about anything! Angelic

Being faced with Dermot O'Leary is enough to smooth out any couple's differences. Even Hitler and the head Rabbi. Yep. I went there.

It is going to be, err, brilliant.

Quote: Aaron @ May 6 2011, 12:00 AM BST

'Being faced with Dermot O'Leary is enough to smooth out any couple's differences. Even Hitler and the head Rabbi. Yep. I went there.'

'And what are mice anyway...? They're just fag rats!'

The Sun reports that O'Leary will be paid £250,000 to host the show. The presenter told the paper's entertainment reporters: "It's a great show and the kind of thing I want to present because it's not your usual show. It's something I'd watch. I'd never do a gameshow. ITV have big plans for it, so fingers crossed."

....and the fact that he's getting paid £250,000.

I see the production company is Zeppotron, Charlie Brooker's company. I wonder if he will rip the piss out of it on his next show. Whistling nnocently

Apparently the ratings for the first episode were half that of BBC One (which itself had less than 5 million). Does not bode well.

I was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed The Marriage Ref.

Let's get it straight from the start though: this is neither a great show, nor will it ever be. But, in the first episode at least, I thought there was some very funny banter between the panel members (particularly Carr and Millican, but Halliwell had her moments), which was really the show's saving grace.

As yet, I'm largely undecided. It's really going to be down to the chemistry between the panellists, which could vary significantly from week-to-week. But it's also going to be quite dependent on the featured couples. Those seen in episode 1 were charmnig and quirky, and if the producers keep that mix throughout then the show will be on a good footing. However, if they end up choosing people who are just plain irritating then things could go downhill quite fast. If the series is recommissioned then they could face a bigger challenge as the prospective couples become wise to the format.

All in all, a fairly entertaining first episode, but the inherent weaknesses to the format are already visible. Despite the host, who I'd usually actively change the channel to avoid, it was an inoffensive if unremarkable start. I've seen worse panel shows.

OK - so it's not real couples then? I assumed it was a cross between Mr & Mrs and an agony uncle type show.

No way of telling if they're real couples or not, but they're presented as such.

The old couple were definitely real. And lovely, and they should be on every week.

Quote: zooo @ June 19 2011, 12:36 PM BST

The old couple were definitely real. And lovely, and they should be on every week.

You're beginning to sound like one of those Barrymore type fans.