Fawlty Towers 'Remastered'

Does anyone have the 2009 'Remastered' box set?

I've been toying with the idea of getting it, and although I know there are a bunch of new extra features, was particularly drawn to its apparent having been "remastered" - but I've just looked on my 2001 box set, and that also claims a special feature as the series having been "digitally re-mastered". So is there any difference?

Will they somehow make the walls stop shaking every time someone walks past them?

(I hope not!)

To me, the 2009 release is more or less the same as the original from 2001, with a few more special features. There doesn't appear to be any difference as far as overall quality is concerned (not that I can see).

Thanks John, as I was suspecting. How disappointing.

Every 4 or 5 years they seem to bring out a new FT boxset. It's a bit annoying to those who already have one, as why would you want two? I think they are being very clever and business minded about this, not giving us everything in one edition. I think Cleese and the BBC have it arranged it like this so they can keep milking this pot of gold. These new Cleese commentaries could easily have been put in the 2005 boxset I have, so I assume it's part of a contractual plan.

Grumble out of the way, I have heard such good things about the Cleese commentaries - on each single episode! - that I have been pondering sucumming to the plot and buying it anyway. Infact I know I will buy it, before its price goes up again. Maybe I could sell my other boxset on Amazon or whatever or give it to a charity shop, yes, I may do that. Surely this has to be the final boxset edition now, what more can they add to it? I believe even Connie Booth did something for this one, so that's finally it.

I think I'll wait until they bring it out in 3D.

I bought the latest set last month. I had the old VHS box set but it was thoroughly chewed and spat out by my video player. The commentaries are well worth the money, but I can't comment how different they are from the other ones. Not very would be my guess.

Reading the Amazon review, it says their favourite misspelling of the sign is 'Fatty Owls' !

Bet they're in a minority there !

;)

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 3 2011, 9:13 PM BST

Reading the Amazon review, it says their favourite misspelling of the sign is 'Fatty Owls' !

Bet they're in a minority there !

;)

Flowery text from the Amazonians, I should think.

I have this version, but not previous releases. As far as I can gather this is the only release with Cleese commentaries, and I think they are worth the admission fee alone. The other extras are, I think, docs that aired on Gold/Dave in the last year or two.

I think I'll have to wait until the price drops a little more, as I'm certainly interested in the Cleese commentaries (earlier releases feature only the directors), but don't often watch extras at all. And the other extras on it I've already got anyway - as you say, just shows from GOLD.

Thanks for all the thoughts and info everyone, very helpful.

Quote: Aaron @ May 4 2011, 12:15 AM BST

I think I'll have to wait until the price drops a little more

Don't know what you're whinging about !

Seems cheap enough to me . .

http://tinyurl.com/6y4eu2y

Not even the correct set. Fail. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ May 4 2011, 12:15 AM BST

but don't often watch extras at all.

:O You surprise me. I thought you'd be an extras anorak. Sometimes I'll spend a whole day watching my favourite films with the commentaries on. I have been astounded at how interesting some of them are. And the little interviews.

If PC revisionalism BBC/2entertain cuts do not piss you off it's good, but they have bleeped the word 'nigger'!

Oh that would be from the Major, and in the context of his character I doubt if anyone would be offended by that utterance, even watching today. That's absolutely crazy that they've bleeped that, insane! And it's put me off a little with the purchase, tbh, but we'll see. Might have to read some Amazon reviews first, they usually cover things like that. Hmm, not good though.