The 1980s was a golden age for sketch shows

This is just an opinion, but I think some of the best sketch shows were made in the eighties. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this is true.

Examples?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 28 2011, 3:33 PM BST

Examples?

^This

.. pound for pound, maybe?

However, the 1990s and beyond have given us The Fast Show, Little Britain, Chewin' The Fat etc.

All the best,
Cal :)

The 80s had A Bit Of Fry & Laurie, among the better sketch shows ever made.

I think the only British sketch show I have from the eighties is Fry And Laurie.
The only US one I have is Kids In The Hall, which started in the late eighties.

There was some good stuff in the eighties. Not The Nine O'Clock News was partially eighties. So was The Two Ronnies. Who Dares Wins. Alas Smith and Jones. French and Saunders were at their peak. And don't forget Russ Abbott's Maddhouse.

Not the Nine O'Clock News, Alas Smith and Jones, Three of A Kind, Who Dares Wins, Spitting Image and Naked Video to name a few.

I'm not sure there's ever been a golden age of sketch shows, though?
Although they do seem a bit rubbish at the moment.

You forgot Absolutely.

Yeah I would agree it was probably the 1980s.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 28 2011, 6:07 PM BST

The only US one I have is Kids In The Hall, which started in the late eighties.

Actually you haven't seen any US sketch shows from the 80s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_In_The_Hall

I wouldn't really know I was too busy having a good time in the ether. But I would say that A Bit Of Fry And Laurie is an outstanding sketch show.

Quote: chipolata @ April 28 2011, 6:41 PM BST

And don't forget Russ Abbott's Maddhouse.

I only wish I could.

Considering that what most people remember from the 1980s is Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses and The Young Ones, sitcom probably had the edge.

The 1970s had more memorable sketch shows of course - Morecambe and Wise and Monty Python, even if you think alternative comedy is better. (And of course writers and performers continued into the 1980s.)