The GoKPoD Podcast Page 2

I don't like meanness per se, but if you put anything up on Critique or showcase then you must expect peoples honest opinion sometime.
If someone really doesn't like it & their critique is, or seems unneccesarily scathing, then the poster can choose to take it on board or not.
Or just put it down to everyones sense of humour being a bit different.
As long as all the reviews aren't bad then it may not be a lost cause. (unless they are all from friends & family)

Quote: Marc P @ April 24 2011, 11:42 PM BST

Sorry LL but this seems to be just spiteful again. Why are you so down on aspirational comedy writers. He's kinda new to it. having a go. I don't think he charged you to listen to his podcast? A couple of guys having a bit of fun posting it on the internet. Maybe I am missing something but some helpful advice maybe, rather than just slagging people off? I know Tim was let down by a donkey in Tijuana recently after a mistake over what a drug mule was. but what is your excuse for being so hoity toity?

My excuse is it's just not at all funny. There seems to be no real planning and it personally irritates me that they seem to have just recorded a half hour conversation and then stuck it on the internet regardless of what the content turned out to be. Linking to it on a comedy forum is akin to blasphemy.

How hard could it have been to listen back to it and realize that it just wan't good enough to share with others. It was akin to being cornered by a pub bore - you will not get that time back, and you resent the person that took it from you.

It takes a natural talent to make this sort of thing work, a prime example being the Ricky Gervais podcast. If you are genuinely happy with what you have made, then nothing I say will alter that, but I can't see that this would be the case.

It's like when people stick 100 photographs on facebook without bothering to remove the blurred, bad or the ones taken by acccident of a wall or something - the ease by which people can put things out there now seems to have taken away the need for personal quality checking.

I have nothing against aspirational comedy writers - I encourage everyone to have a bash, but I will not hold my tongue of something is just plain bad. Marc - what do you think of this podcast? Listen to the whole thing and let us know.

I did have a listen to the opening bit and it all seemed a bit familiar with name checking and microphones and improvy type stuff. Not my cup of tea. Not a fan of improv when the experts do it. Just seemed a tad harsh to boldly say they have no talent. And by the way - why not hold your tongue if you really don't like something?? I think the idea of critique is implicit really in what the word means. If everyone went around posting about stuff they really didn't like in critique we'd be overloaded! :)

Never said they have no talent, just that this particular thing is not good. They may be good at something else.

We do not have to slag people off, but as long as there is an option, I will speak my mind.

I guess by your rules you have to be prepared for an honest bashing of your critiques, Lady Laughter. ;)

I think there is a line between being blunt but helpful, and being needlessly rude, and in my opinion you do appear to cross into being mean for the sake of it sometimes (although you do occasionally post complimentary critiques too).

You did mention in an earlier post that you 'created' Lady Laughter to have a go at someone (I may be misremembering your wording) and that does suggest that you're not being yourself, and you're perhaps pushing it to get a reaction, which seems a bit disingenuous. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not looking for a reaction at all. I don't care one bit about what you think of my criticism, don't make that mistake.

Naturally, there is something in annonyminity, but many people on here don't use their own names.

I just decided when I joined I would be honest, and not shy away from being negative where I felt it was called for.

I am an adnirer of Simon Cowell, or at least when he used to be a bit more nasty to the genuinely clueless (he doesn't do that so much now). I was on his side - if something is shite, then someone has to have the balle to stand up and say so. It's no use pandering to anyone.

And Griff - yes, you have 'another one', if that means an intelligent, articulate girl who isn't afraid to call a spade a spade and a piece of shite a piece of shite.

Like I've said, honest is good, even if it's extremely negative. Cruel is not good.

We like to leave that sort of thing over at Chortle, where it's the norm.

Quote: Lady Laughter @ April 25 2011, 12:31 PM BST

And Griff - yes, you have 'another one', if that means an intelligent, articulate girl who isn't afraid to call a spade a spade and a piece of shite a piece of shite.

Laughing out loud Ok you got me with that one.

This isn't funny. You seem to lack confidence in your material, it's full of erms and pauses and bits where your voices drop like your embarassed.

No jokes, no strucutre, no amusing characters or structures.

Here and there you seem to be looking for shock with the massaging penis line. But with nothing to reflect it against it sort of hangs there.

Just having a chat for 5 minutes isn't going to make anykind of humour.

If you're serious about comedy you may need to get more serious about your writing and rehearsing.

I'm oddly a little jealous that my podcast doesn't get as much (ie any) attention (good or bad) here. I should put **READ THIS** on all new threads from now on. I love being an insecure comedian.

Quote: thefridaylink @ April 28 2011, 5:29 PM BST

I'm oddly a little jealous that my podcast doesn't get as much (ie any) attention (good or bad) here. I should put **READ THIS** on all new threads from now on.

I wouldn't. ;) It's not really a good look.

I'm quite glad no one's heard about my blog

Having reread it, it's shite.

Is it the one in your sig...?

Yup I wouldn't read either they're dreadful

Quote: thefridaylink @ April 28 2011, 5:29 PM BST

I'm oddly a little jealous that my podcast doesn't get as much (ie any) attention (good or bad) here. I should put **READ THIS** on all new threads from now on. I love being an insecure comedian.

Well fifteen seconds of silly music and then into hey it's me kinda stuff and I was turned off. Sorry. Hit the road running. Life is to short to wait nowadays.