BBC Comedy cutbacks Page 5

Quote: Griff @ April 17 2011, 12:19 AM BST

But if you've got a script anyway, why wouldn't you send it to them? As well as sending it elsewhere, I mean.

That is a fair point.

Quote: Griff @ April 17 2011, 12:25 AM BST

What effort? Printing off a script and posting it?
What money? It's a free service to writers. One that the other networks don't offer.

I know it's free.

Please feel free to substitute the word money for 'hopes' or indeed 'aspirations' I was using a popular figure of speech.

Quote: Griff @ April 17 2011, 12:25 AM BST

The low strike rate is not the fault of the Writersroom. It is because 99% of scripts that come in aren't worth pursuing. Also remember there are precious few vacancies for new writers anyway - diminishing hours of comedy and drama are being made every year, and those slots are being fought over by the Ricky Gervais's and Steve Coogans of the world. Even if 1000 brilliant new writers were found by WR each year, there wouldn't be 1000 opportunities to give them.

This seems to have developed into a different discussion really. Don't disagree with any of your quote but as I have only just spotted that you've edited it into the conversation I'll respond.

My comment back on the previous page, if you go back and look, says that I have never used the service for sending an unsolicited script. Everything you're saying I know already. I have no axe to grind or finger to point at dear old Auntie.

My question was this really this.

Anybody know anybody who's been picked up through an unsolicited script submission via WR. That's all really.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ April 17 2011, 12:46 AM BST

This seems to have developed into a different discussion really. Don't disagree with any of your quote but as I have only just spotted that you've edited it into the conversation I'll respond.

My comment back on the previous page, if you go back and look, says that I have never used the service for sending an unsolicited script. Everything you're saying I know already. I have no axe to grind or finger to point at dear old Auntie.

My question was this really this.

Anybody know anybody who's been picked up through an unsolicited script submission via WR. That's all really.

I've mentioned this on other threads but the only thing I've heard of for definite was MI High. In its original form was known as Spy Chicks. I have a vague recollection of a quiz for CBBC coming in through WR as well but can't remember the name of it.
It is simply the problem that most of us are still aspirational and simply haven't got the experience/polish yet to be given a punt. I'm dithering about a radio drama script which is pretty much done. But its whether I try going direct to a producer from the list of names on the BBC commissioning pages or via an indie after I've tried getting it produced by a local am dram to knock the kinks out is the question. WR doesn't come into it.
I think Griff is right. Its likely that more drama has a chance of getting through and at least WR is there. I listen to a lot of radio drama and always check the credits to find out who is producing what and whether its in house or indie. Frequently there'll be a short biog of the writer and I think there might be one on R4 this week who either came through WR or some competition run by the Beeb.
However Blenks, there is nothing to stop you sending to WR as well but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Since it's extraordinarily rare for a series to be made from an unsolicited script, surely it makes sense to introduce as many people to your writing as possible? If you have talent, someone should spot it and help you develop it. But, as Griff says, less money means fewer hours means fewer producers which means less time to develop new talent. Producers want to sell shows, the writersroom wants to find and encourage and give advice to writers who they think may succeed professionally.

Quote: Griff @ April 17 2011, 9:51 AM BST

A small number of writers, but it does happen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/writing/success_stories.shtml

Now you're talking. Very interesting to read that and to see there have been good things as a result. You have now answered the question that I was asking in the first place.

My last comment on this is to say ONCE AGAIN and to repeat what I said at the outset when I poked my nose into this thread. I am not an expert on Writersroom. I have had no contact with them ever (by way of unsolicited script submissions) and furthermore I currently do not have a script to send them. I write books and not scripts these days. Although in the past I have written scripts and I have had them read both by BBC producers and production companies.

My point (God help me) was to try and raise a broader discussion on the very often spotted negative comments that those seeking to use the unsolicited script service have made, both on here and in other on-line forums.

I have found the WR opportunities, script archives and blogs all extremely interesting and helpful in the past.

So one more time, if I may...

I am not anti Writersroom

So anyone addressing comments for the justification of this facility please don't bother telling me specifically as you are preaching to the converted. That is to say I have no gripe with WR.

The realisation that my lack of success is not due to some terrible Cambridge cabal or sinister conspiracy

But rather because I'm a bloody awful writer never fails to depress me

This must be why nutty Christians picket funerals.

I briefly got my foot in the door with the Beeb via Writersroom, made a small amount of money, met a bunch of producers and learned a lot about writing screenplays, but it was as part of a specific competition they ran, so I'm not sure you could say it was "unsolicited".

Quote: sootyj @ April 17 2011, 6:08 PM BST

The realisation that my lack of success is not due to some terrible Cambridge cabal or sinister conspiracy

It's called "anti-Semitism" soot, get used to it.

It's personally a bit sad for me as I have some very good friends who work for BBC comedy. I can't honestly see how they will continue in their current form and by association how BBC Three will continue to be justified to the licence fee payers.

Bloody Hell.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000518/quarter_of_bbc_comedy_staff_lose_jobs/