Naked busker needs help with song

Help! I've got a hen party gig I'm doing in a weeks time and I need a funny "marriage" song. somethingthat's naughty but nice and fairly easy to play as I only have a week to rehearse. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

donnie rust.

What about Victoria Wood's 'The Ballad Of Barry and Freda (Let's Do It)'? Not about "marriage" per se, but about a married couple. I don't know how easy it would be to play, and there's a fair few verses, but sure is fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZCIKjYDf1g

Apart from you'd need her permission, obviously.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ April 15 2011, 10:02 PM BST

No you wouldn't.

However, I wouldn't advise performing it unless this hen party is taking place in the late '70s/early '80s and the bride-to-be is a menopausal middle-aged woman.

Why not shake things up a bit and perform a song about the pain of divorce, for example 'Good Year For The Roses'? Be sure to wear a T-shirt with the words "Knowing Irony" printed on it to dissuade potential hecklers.

Lets get married

by The Proclaimers, not a comedy song but it's a lotta fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpmUUEkrKM

There's that sweary Beautiful South song.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 15 2011, 10:17 PM BST

There's that sweary Beautiful South song.

Not the one you're thinking of but We Are Each Other might work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZrGSnm37M

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 15 2011, 10:20 PM BST

Not the one you're thinking of but We Are Each Other might work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZrGSnm37M

But that song is surely about how self-absorbed, self-centred and superior to others some married couples can become?

I like it! :)

The OP should follow that up with 'Hand In Glove' by The Smiths.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 15 2011, 10:25 PM BST

But that song is surely about how self-absorbed, self-centred and superior to others some married couples can become?

I like it! :)

:D

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 15 2011, 10:12 PM BST

No you wouldn't.

As a stand up comedian, using another comedian's material in a heavily self regulated circuit? Yes, Yes you would. Not legally. But if you wanted to carry on getting gigs you would.

Plus I imagine you'd be best taking a well known song like 'Going to the chapel' and writing a parody of that.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ April 15 2011, 10:02 PM BST

Quote: Nat Wicks @ April 16 2011, 12:00 AM BST

Not legally.

So the answer is "No you wouldn't" then, as I correctly stated.

Not much difference between covering an ancient Victoria Wood standard and the band playing down your local pub murdering 'Sweet Caroline', is there? Or should every terrible covers band write off and ask Neil Diamond for his permission?

Of course, there may be a moral dimension to the arguments for and against comedians using each other's material, but as most stand-up comedians don't really have any morals, it's rather a moot point. :)

And if you want to get more gigs then I would suggest that Victoria Wood is one of the last people you'd want to be stealing material from anyway. You might as well pilfer all of Justin Lee Collins' zingers.

If it's a Hen Night I'd suggest:

All the Single Ladies - Beyonce
Islands in the stream - Dolly and Kenny
Any Katy Perry or Rihanna song
Anything by Abba, Lady Gaga, the Weather Girls.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 16 2011, 12:13 AM BST

So the answer is "No you wouldn't" then, as I correctly stated.

In the same way that you probably wouldn't get arrested for shitting in your manager's desk drawer, but you certainly wouldn't be getting promotions any time some.

Not much difference between covering an ancient Victoria Wood standard and the band playing down your local pub murdering 'Sweet Caroline', is there? Or should every terrible covers band write off and ask Neil Diamond for his permission?

Of course, there may be a moral dimension to the arguments for and against comedians using each other's material, but as most stand-up comedians don't really have any morals, it's rather a moot point. :)

I couldn't disagree with you more. Every other week I hear about an act who isn't getting gig off some promoter or another because they have ripped off someone elses' material. It is a VERY big deal on the stand up circuit.

And if you carry on, I will punch you in the throat.

A comic song would be viewed as being closer to a gag and ripping one of those off.

Unless you're doing a direct and acknowledged tribute is very bad pool.

Better off doing a funny version of a normal song or writing you're own.

Or comission some one on this site to write one for you(not me I'm shit at songs)

THANK YOU!