Does your accent... Page 4

Accent may play a small part, but I dare say visual performance will play a greater role.

Incidentally, Nat, I believe Bob Mortimer is from boro, Vic Reeves is from Darlington. they both met in London where Bob was a solicitor. I too am from Stockton on Tees. other comic exports would also include Roy Chubby Brown.

As for accents, I've lost the smoggie accent, after spending 10 years in wales I've got a tees-taff accent. has it hindered me? I don't think it has.

Oop, you're more right than me! Aparently Vic was born leeds and moved to Darlo aged 5.

I try to forget 'ol Chubby.

Bob Mortimer's totally lost his Boro accent now. I was at a talk he was giving a couple of months ago and he actually sounds quite posh. But then I was born and brought up in Middlesbrough so I have rather an expert ear.

I don't have an accent.

Quote: Chappers @ April 15 2011, 12:15 PM BST

I don't have an accent.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 14 2011, 11:46 PM BST

Bob Mortimer's totally lost his Boro accent now. I was at a talk he was giving a couple of months ago and he actually sounds quite posh. But then I was born and brought up in Middlesbrough so I have rather an expert ear.

He still sounds pretty Teesside on Shooting Stars.

Tas accent tis as tis un nowt should mek thee sell out as thee got all ta legs lad. If you know what I mean, mon ?

I think a north east accent might hinder female comedians a bit. I've heard of a few local acts (not Nat) who are good, being accused of copying Sarah Millican. It's as though there's only one place in the world for a north east female comic, and it's currently taken.

I do wonder whether Sarah Millican's accent is part of her success though. It gives her a softer edge, and means she can get away with some of her filthier material, and generally swearing tends to be forgiven more in a regional accent.

(I should point out that although I'm in the north east, I don't have a north east accent, just a generic southern one.)

Quote: Baz Magnum @ March 1 2011, 8:12 PM BST

Ha ha yeah I think there was but what about liverpool or geordie accents.

I heard Mick Miller tell that joke about the Liverpool accent. I think he was playing it safe, as he is from Liverpool himself.

:) Mine is like Caroline Ahern my partner sounds like Dave from 'Royle Family'
OH this is So revealing in retrospect!

I have an Irish accent but I'm not sure which one. It's not Dublin, Cork or Limerick and its not a country Tipperary accent(which is where I'm from) I think its just a non-descript Irish accent.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 20 2011, 12:03 PM BST

Bill Bailey is another good example, would he be quite as funny with a stern Yorkshire accent?

An accent won't make an unfunny comedian funny but the correct accent can add a huge amount to a comedian's material.

I think he still would be IMO. I think it can work in reverse as well, I don't really think deadpan would be funny coming from Peter Kay?

Quote: Baz Magnum @ March 1 2011, 7:50 PM BST

I'm a brummie myself and I don't think it would hinder me, the only brummie comic I can think of is frank skinner ao I'd probably be the second :D

Jasper Carrot, he be a child's car noise/brum brum/brummie/from Birmingham.