What The Papers Say

Although not a comedy as such, I do miss this show.

It always had its tongue very firmly in its cheek and with a good presenter was simply brilliant and hilarious to boot.

It went west when Granada lost its ITV franchise a long time ago, but then was remade by them for Auntie for some years.

It seems like it was decommissioned only a few years ago but I suspect a quick Google would reveal that it might be 5-10 perhaps?

Just checked - seems it was actually put out to grass in 2008.

I still catch it on Radio 4 from time to time, not sure what night it's on but it's at 10.45pm just after the Westminster news programme "Today in Parliament" or whatever it's called.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ April 12 2011, 4:13 PM BST

I still catch it on Radio 4 from time to time, not sure what night it's on but it's at 10.45pm just after the Westminster news programme "Today in Parliament" or whatever it's called.

Cheers Tony. I wasn't aware that it was on radio. Is it still similar in its style, i.e. ripping the arse out of the tabloids?

Just listening to it on iPlayer now. It's Sundays 10.45. Style fairly intact. Lovely!!

Haven't enjoyed the radio run much, the collected wit and wisdom of Times journalists like Anne McAlvoy doesn't usually keep me awake after a hard weekend.

It worked best with journalists who didn't take their industry's output very seriously. Paul Foot (Daily Mirror guy) was memorable.

It had a run on BBC2 on Saturdays with Tony Livesey who was very funny.

Yes would agree. For me it doesn't work as well on radio. Probably because there are no pics of the articles they discuss; but also the vocal delivery of the readers lacks pizazz and was a bit flat and monotonous after a bit.

I got bored before the end and this radio incarnation isn't something I'd actively seek out. Might fill an idle 15 mins on iPlayer but that's all.

:( Unemployment figures down shock, why? they have stopped everyone signing on!
Also fiddled the disabled figures so nothing is accurate, outrageous!

The BBC analysis was so poor, just reiterated figures no analysis at all, where is all the investigive journalism?

Suppose have to start new thread...

With regards to the last post, about BBC analysis. On the Breakfast News this morning, they had some guy on and were talking about sickness at work. I think they quoted a figure like 45% didn't have a day off sick last year. Speaking from the bottom end of the career ladder. Absenteeism is a scored value when determining points for redundancy selection. So those who have been made redundant over thr last 2 to 3 years were the worst timekeepers. Those still in work, know this is the case, so now turn into work when in the past, a minor illness would have kept them off (so now everyone gets it). Also there are a growing number of employers that don't pay sick money, so if you take one or two days off, you either lose the money or make up the time.
The answer for the BBC is simple. Attendance is going up due to fear and a lack of cash, not some high-minded commitment to the company.

Bitter ? Not me, or my citrus-based friends.