The Royal Bodyguard

Oh dear. David Jason as a former guardsman who is mistakenly put in charge of royal security. Premise sounds a bit iffy but its by Hat Trick so fingers crossed.

It's been a long time since DJ's been on the Beeb, hasn't it?

I wonder if he'll still be able to find his way round?

I thought he'd died on April 1st?

I think it sounds really good. I'm excited to see it.

Quote: Corey O'Graffor @ April 13 2011, 3:37 PM BST

I thought he'd died on April 1st?

:D

Reading what this is about I have to say I don't get Jason in the lead. An army captain coming up to retirement and then getting mistaking placed in charge of royal security. I don't see Jason as coming up to retirement.

However, with a slight twist I can really see Jason as Yeoman Warden.

I'm a big David Jason/Only Fools fan so for him to be back in a BBC comedy is great news.

The premise does sound a bit iffy but it's made by someone from The Worst Week of My Life and it sounds as though they are going down the route of nothing will go right for him which worked very well in WWOML.

Bussell and Sbresni are underrated writers IMO.

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2011, 9:29 PM BST

Now you've done it, this will no doubt be misquoted. ;)

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 13 2011, 9:34 PM BST

Now you've done it, this will no doubt be misquoted. ;)

That lot aren't even on my radar. ;)

Quote: Griff @ April 13 2011, 11:48 PM BST

Will he be doing his Mahatma Coat joke?

Whooooosh.

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2011, 9:29 PM BST

I've always been a bit surprised Worst Week of My Life isn't held in higher regard. What it lacks in originality it makes up for in humour.

I think it's the casting of Jason that is making my spirits droop. I know we should suspend disbelief but with a vague background in things military a little voice in my head keeps remarking "He's too short to have been in the Guards" or "He would have been retired at least 15 years ago years from the army" and "Captain at retirement? What did he do to upset his superiors?"
Hat Trick plus Bussell and Sbrensi should mean that the script will be decent. But then it's been all downhill for Jason since Dangermouse. ;)

Jason is still an excellent comedy actor, but he is too old to be still in the army.....and he looks it.

Bring back Del Boy!

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2011, 9:36 PM BST

That lot aren't even on my radar. ;)

Why hello!