Rik & Ade write retirement home comedy Page 2

You can hardly say Alan B'Stard was self obsessed, he was a politician for goodness sake.

That was His Other Character.

Won't this really be just "The Old Gits?"

I like both though.

Quote: KLRiley @ April 8 2011, 11:26 AM BST

And Caroline Aherne is working on one about security guards. Hmmm. Both ideas for which scripts have been floating about in critique. I know that there are industry people on here in disguise but are they using us a testbed?

More likely, they're using old shows as a testbed.

As for the Rik and Ade news, I've never thought much of The Young Ones but really quite enjoyed Bottom and Guest House Paradiso so am rather excited about the prospect of this new venture. Fingers crossed.

And here's the original news story: https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000508/rik_mayall_adrian_edmondson_oap_retirement_comedy/

I really hope this happens. I was wondering recently on this very forum what Rik, in particular, was up to.

The only thing about the article is that it just quotes Ade as saying that he and Rik 'have an idea' for this programme. Not quite the same as 'we've been commissioned'. I guess even they might have to write a spec script.

How could it be a retirement home? They're hardly pensioners are they?

Another retirement home sitcom was You're Only Young Twice with Peggy Mount and Pat Coombs.

Just about remember it from when I was a kid.

Keep meaning to get it on DVD.

Quote: lofthouse @ April 8 2011, 6:36 PM BST

How could it be a retirement home? They're hardly pensioners are they?

They weren't students when they made The Young Ones: makeup, costumes, and maybe a little prosthetic. Simple!

Quote: peter gazzard @ April 8 2011, 11:39 AM BST

Dont mind Caroline Aherne but I don't think her show will top Nightingales

Have to agree with that. It was the first thing I thought when I heard about the idea.

I presume there won't be any frying pans battered round the head or penises trapped in fridge doors now they're getting on a bit?

Not a problem.

I loved all the slapstick stuff in Bottom, but some of the funniest moments are basically when the two of them are just sitting around talking bollocks to each other anyway.

I thought I was excited about the prospect of new Red Dwarf - but that's f**k all compared to this news.

I wonder what channel it will be on? Rik really layed into the Beeb after they turned Bottom 4 down!

Quote: peter gazzard @ April 8 2011, 8:32 AM BST

It will probably be like Waiting For God on acid

That reminded of me of this old favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF2fN4MmMAY

Laughing out loud

Quote: Aaron @ April 8 2011, 4:49 PM BST

... but really quite enjoyed ... Guest House Paradiso

This doesn't even make any sense.

Dan

I liked it too!

No. Wrong.

Dan

IknowyouarebutwhatamI?
And so on.

Quote: swerytd @ April 8 2011, 8:07 PM BST

This doesn't even make any sense.

Dan

A wonderfully funny film.

It has one funny bit: 'Pheeb', and that's it.

It's awful. If I hadn't seen Hulk, it would be the worst film I'd ever seen. And Bottom is supremely ace.

Dan