Is The Office the last classic comedy...

...to come out of Britain?

Any other worthy contenders?

Do you mean last as in most recent, or last as in final?

The Persuasionists?

Miranda

anyway, Operation Good Guys already did that style of show and much better too IMO

David Brent is a great character though

Quote: zooo @ April 5 2011, 8:43 PM BST

Do you mean last as in most recent, or last as in final?

As in most recent.

I'd say Miranda too, in that case. :)

Peep Show is a classic.

I loved The Office and I really like Ricky Gervais.

But one thing that let The Office down IMO was the overuse of swearing and offensive stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no prude and like the odd knob gag as much as the next man, but I think the writers got lazy and just went overboard trying to be offensive all the time.

If you can't think of something funny just get one of the characters to say 'cock'.

Lazy comedy.

Peep Show and The Thick of It are unarguably classics. Miranda has some good points but isn't.

The Thick of It gets my vote. I think the third series has been its strongest yet, possibly due to the shift of the focus on Malcolm.

Thick of It is definitely a classic.
But I think Miranda is too (and probably has more viewers?). I'd say Outnumbered too.

Bit of a lame question really.

The Office wasn't really all that good. It was okay, sure, but a classic?

Methinks not. Apart from a few diehards, it'll be largely forgotten.

Ricky Gervais has a part to play in the process, because these days he just comes across as smug and full of himself.

There will always be classic comedies as long as there are people around. Always has been the case, and always will be.

Skoob.

The IT Crowd.

Quote: Skoob @ April 5 2011, 9:51 PM BST

The Office wasn't really all that good. It was okay, sure, but a classic?

Methinks not. Apart from a few diehards, it'll be largely forgotten.

It really, really won't.

Quote: zooo @ April 5 2011, 9:49 PM BST

Thick of It is definitely a classic. But I think Miranda is too (and probably has more viewers?).

I like Miranda but it's never as good as I want it to be. I think a lot of the affection it gets is down to the fact that it's a throwback to the sitcoms we grew up with, rather than due to the quality of the writing.

Yes, plus she's a large woman who knows that the public loves a fat bird who makes fun out of herself. It makes a lot of female viewers feel happier about their own weight problems, it sort of confirms the myth that fat women have bubblier personalities, and it is a very sure way to become popular in Britain, as evidenced by the rabidly popular Dawn French before her. The formula - be fat, funny and female and you cannot fail on British TV. Miranda cannot go wrong now.