Comedy-dramas...? Page 7

Yes I see your point, but brilliant still has a higher meaning, which is is wrong in this context unless used for deliberate irony. I'd say it was great rather than brilliant, because it wasn't showy or garish, it was quite subdued and fairly dark. But I'm being pedantic, I hear you say.

I am just loving "Sensitive Skin"!

Has Psychoville been mentioned? That was very comedy-dramaish.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 31 2011, 2:19 PM BST

But I'm being pedantic, I hear you say.

That's not what we're saying, Kipper. ;)

Quote: chipolata @ April 1 2011, 3:50 PM BST

Has Psychoville been mentioned? That was very comedy-dramaish.

It is brilliant. I've just watched the Halloween special- an absolute classic.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 22 2011, 4:36 PM BST

That show about Bin Men from a while back. It might even have been called Bin Men.

Common as Muck?

Quote: Badge @ April 1 2011, 8:51 PM BST

Common as Muck

Great series, funny and sad. Woodward was excellent.

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 1 2011, 8:55 PM BST

funny and sad.

What, comedy and drama? :O

:$ Someone ought to make a thread...

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 1 2011, 8:57 PM BST

:$ Someone ought to make a thread...

Nah.

In terms of radio, probably the greatest comedy drama made was King Street Junior. It is certainly the longest. If you include both the original series and the sequel King Street Junior Revisited, a total of 100 episodes were made over a period of 20 years. It is the longest running scripted comedy on Radio 4, and the second longest scripted programme of any kind on Radio 4, only beaten by The Archers. When it was broadcast on the World Service it has an audience of up to 22 million people. Despite all this, it has never been released commercially by the BBC.

What about the "Beiderbeck Affair" (and it's sequels)?
And then there's "A Bit of a Do".
I think they qualify.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 7 2011, 8:04 PM BST

In terms of radio, probably the greatest comedy drama made was King Street Junior. It is certainly the longest. If you include both the original series and the sequel King Street Junior Revisited, a total of 100 episodes were made over a period of 20 years. It is the longest running scripted comedy on Radio 4, and the second longest scripted programme of any kind on Radio 4, only beaten by The Archers. When it was broadcast on the World Service it has an audience of up to 22 million people. Despite all this, it has never been released commercially by the BBC.

I've never even heard of it.

Speaking of comedy-drama, I got the DVD of "Class Act" with Joanna Lumley yesterday. I had seen a little bit of it over a decade ago and found it funny - watching more of it now, and it's hilarious! A very well structured comedy-drama indeed.
The show revolves around a displaced aristocrat called Kate Swift (Lumley) whose husband has gone missing, leaving her to take the blame for his dodgy dealings. She is imprisoned for six months and, upon release, she teams up with her cellmate, who is a burglar, and the apologetic journalist who caused her to be imprisoned.
Together, they set out to find out what happened to her husband and to the money - and various madcap adventures ensue as they dodge policemen and crooks alike and try to get their hands on cash. Kate's father and the police inspector who is monitoring her in the hopes of retrieving her husband's ill-gotten gains are also characters.
The show is action packed and full of hilarious one liners and outrageously self-centred behaviour by the protagonist.
Does anyone else remember it?
Miss Lumley, more recently, has been in "Sensitive Skin" - one of the finest and most refined, stylish comedy-dramas I have seen.

Please start a new thread for discussion of a particular programme. Or go in one that already exists for it. Thanks. :)

Quote: Chappers @ April 8 2011, 2:34 PM BST

I've never even heard of it.

It's still being repeated on R4+. Give it a whirl.