Business Cards Page 4

Quote: Mark @ October 1 2008, 11:31 PM BST

This is the reason I see little point in conventional business cards.

I think if you really want to be noticed the thing to do is get CD business cards...

As can be seen from the picture, they look pretty much like normal business cards... but the people you give them to can put them in their CD-Rom drives and access anything you've loaded onto them (e.g. sample scripts, your filmed pilot?).

They're expensive... but I think they'd be worth it as they're a clever way of getting a producer to look at your script/video (and, as is discussed multiple places on this website, the best way of getting that big break is meeting producers at conferences etc and then somehow getting them to look at your work... they hate bulky things, so perhaps this is the answer)

Would a normal CD and a pair of scissors do the same job?

Quote: Griff @ October 1 2008, 3:16 PM BST

Well, the plan was to get a small number of cards made and get new ones every six months or something. Let's face it, if I ended up giving ten cards to industry people in that time I'd consider myself fortunate.

Get yourself some nice card and print your own.

http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog/cat_results.asp?txtSearch=cards&ParentID=21449&brandName=&minPrice=0.49&maxPrice=179.99&ShowAllResults=1

Then you can change it whenever you wish, and you can have both amusing & stolid ones in your wallet & choose which to give out on the spur of the moment.

Cheers Bill, that's a good idea.

The silliest card I got happened when a friend said let me give you my card and when I looked it simply read "My Card".

Is there something better to write under your name on a card than just 'Writer' if you write in more than one format (scripts, short stories, etc)?

Don't write anything under your name. Have a pen graphic or somesuch on the card if they need to be reminded you are a writer when going through their pockets.

Quote: Marc P @ April 1 2011, 12:16 PM BST

Don't write anything under your name. Have a pen graphic or somesuch on the card if they need to be reminded you are a writer when going through their pockets.

Thanks for your help, Marc. I see a lot of writers' cards with 'Writer' written underneath their name; why is that not alright in your opinion?

Quote: Marooned @ April 1 2011, 12:43 PM BST

Thanks for your help, Marc. I see a lot of writers' cards with 'Writer' written underneath their name; why is that not alright in your opinion?

Well of course it is alright, but don't really see the point myself as it does sound rather vague. Is it for handing out at networking events?

Quote: Marc P @ April 1 2011, 1:21 PM BST

Well of course it is alright, but don't really see the point myself as it does sound rather vague. Is it for handing out at networking events?

I'm hoping to hand some out at the Comedy Writers' Festival next weekend.

Would it be better if I wrote 'Writer - scripts, short stories, jokes' etc?

Well to be honest marooned if the card has been solicited it is just an aide memoire, who was that funny chap I met at the festival Tarquin, he could be just the fellow for this, hang in I've got his card here. Kind of thing - then I guess Comedy Writer would be fine. If it is unsolicited and just handing out cards I guess the same would apply but be unlikely without prior conversation if that makes sense.

Quote: Marc P @ April 1 2011, 1:39 PM BST

Well to be honest marooned if the card has been solicited it is just an aide memoire, who was that funny chap I met at the festival Tarquin, he could be just the fellow for this, hang in I've got his card here. Kind of thing - then I guess Comedy Writer would be fine. If it is unsolicited and just handing out cards I guess the same would apply but be unlikely without prior conversation if that makes sense.

God, I'd love a name like Tarquin.

I write drama as well; would it be okay to put 'Comedy and Drama Writer'?
Also, I feel I should list the formats I cover; what do people reckon?

You don't want to come across as a jack of all trades - that goes against you, ahem. I'd have a Drama Mask on one side a COmedy Mask on the other maybe your name and contact details in the middle and a slogan that sums it up underneath!
?

Quote: Baumski @ October 4 2008, 2:27 PM BST

The silliest card I got happened when a friend said let me give you my card and when I looked it simply read "My Card".

I will definitely have to get some of those printed! Free of charge via this site: http://www.vistaprint.com.au
There must be a UK equivalent site? Ah, here's one: http://www.optimalprint.co.uk/en-GB/Free-Business-Cards

Not so much a business card thing, but Barry Humphries used to put 'dilettante' as his occupation on embarkation cards. I have done the same at many airports and, likewise, no immigration official has ever asked me to explain it.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 1 2011, 2:09 PM BST

I will definitely have to get some of those printed! Free of charge via this site: http://www.vistaprint.com.au
There must be a UK equivalent site? Ah, here's one: http://www.optimalprint.co.uk/en-GB/Free-Business-Cards

Not so much a business card thing, but Barry Humphries used to put 'dilettante' as his occupation on embarkation cards. I have done the same at many airports and, likewise, no immigration official has ever asked me to explain it.

Thanks for posting that, Kenneth.

I'm going a bit Patrick Bateman on this card thing. :S

Hi! I just created my account! I have to introduce myself properly, I know, I'm doing it right after I give you a tip that might help: here's another one: Planet Cards (hope it helped!)