White Van Man - Series 1 Page 3

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 24 2011, 1:00 PM GMT

Well no, obviously not, I don't understand the point you're making??

To quote myself, if I only knew how to use the technology:

'I'd rather see gags that were just funny, not funny as long as one of the cast is from this minority or that racial background.'

I think you mentioned in a subsequent post Matthew that it seems wrong but it was funny. My point was that it's an easy laugh because nobody wants to be compared to someone they see in a less favourable light than they see themselves. Yes, it was quite funny, but it was an easy laugh. For my taste, I'd rather the gags were better crafted. I didn't think it added anything to the plot or made me feel sympathetic towards the Will Mellor character.

To be fair to the writer and the BBC, I'm sure I'm not their target audience.

Not laugh out loud, but some funny characters, and some new faces in the brother and sister team that I quite liked. Thought Will Mellor was good too. It's definitely funnier than Friday Night Dinner.

Seems to be the most promising sitcom on BBC Three for sometime

There are times when Joel Fry reminds me of Robert Webb.

Oh yeah, he does look a bit similar. Hair apart.

Maybe he's the love child of Robert Webb and Lionel Richie

This second episode was excellent. Much more like a proper sitcom and better than the first episode. Liked it lots and Will Mellor is spot-on in this role. Perfect straight man and can deliver a funny line/deadpan expression perfectly, like with the 'queue' woman.

Great stuff!

Dan

Quote: jhmagic1 @ March 25 2011, 7:29 PM BST

Seems to be the most promising sitcom on BBC Three for sometime

Just goes to show how bad BBC Three sitcoms are.

I did like the first two episodes but the one tonight did nothing for me.

I liked it as a story, but - Captain Orsom aside - I didn't find it that funny.

Not as good this week, though I do like Will Mellor's character and I think he's doing him justice.

Dan

love the program realy good cast. jusy wondering if Will can come and look at my bedroom ceiling?

Quote: Jackie Dineen @ April 5 2011, 11:16 PM BST

love the program realy good cast. jusy wondering if Will can come and look at my bedroom ceiling?

*high fives Jackie*

And Joel Fry can give me an over-inflated estimate!

Anyone have a detailed run-down on the music used in the show.I like quite a bit of it!

I just discovered this comedy today on catch up, and ended up watching the entire series this afternoon. Best thing I've seen in ages - actually laughed out loud quite a few times, particularly towards the end. The whole bit about the eagle had me in stitches. There seems to be a lot of personal antagonism directed towards Will Mellor on this thread. Not sure why. I really enjoyed his performance, and love his pained face which works brilliantly with the offbeat Joel Fry character. Female characters a bit weak but not enough to spoil it. I also totally loved the cheeky burglar character and the episode with the hammer and sickle.

I'm surprised how much I liked this show.

Good old fashioned sitcom with lots of characters and strong situations.

Will Mellor's desperation to not be a dodgy white van man is a lovely bit of ongoing tension