Actors who should have their own sitcom... Page 2

Christopher Lloyd, too late now but shame it never happened for him, although if he had a time machine...

Is he dead?

Not yet, but he is 73 this year and you don't get many sitcoms built around stars of that age.

Aww.

I would have guessed he was about 50/60.

Unless you are building a show round an established persona, a al Hancock, then surely the route to go is to develop the script then decide who would be right for the part; rather than saying someone can do funny, let's find a script which would serve as a vehicle for them and mess it around with it until it fits.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 21 2011, 6:22 PM GMT

Some actors would will bring much more to a role than others, you can't just swap one for another all willy nilly as each would bring something different. If you dropped Chris Barrie and got in Will Mellor, the effect is going to be somewhat different, for better or worse.

Obviously you go for different breeds of cattle for each role. Do I need an Eldon Type Cow for this one or a Horne Heffer?

You could say the same about writers, there are thousands clogging up the place, trying to write for shows. Who should we get in for this sketch show? Do we want a Linehan or a Fry?

Quote: Timbo @ March 21 2011, 7:04 PM GMT

Unless you are building a show round an established persona, a al Hancock, then surely the route to go is to develop the script then decide who would be right for the part; rather than saying someone can do funny, let's find a script which would serve as a vehicle for them and mess it around with it until it fits.

Agree with that, but inevitably and no bad thing that some actors shine in certain sitcoms so come to the attention of casting directors/producers and are then earmarked on merit of that for a new sitcom as a result, one eg being Ardal O Hanlon going on to do My Hero.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 21 2011, 8:15 PM GMT

Agree with that, but inevitably and no bad thing that some actors shine in certain sitcoms so come to the attention of casting directors/producers and are then earmarked on merit of that for a new sitcom as a result, one eg being Ardal O Hanlon going on to do My Hero.

Was that a good thing to happen though?

Quote: KLRiley @ March 21 2011, 8:18 PM GMT

Was that a good thing to happen though?

For him, yes. For me, no, as I didn't find it that funny!

I feel Kathy Burke needs a mention too - alright, she was a co-lead in "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" - but I would like to see her in a show as "The" star.

Jason Alexander needs his own show too.

Quote: ToddB @ March 21 2011, 11:10 PM GMT

He's never going to find a better character than George to play.

(He was very good as 'himself' in Curb, mind you.)

Maybe the character he plays is along the lines of George - but the story centres around him.
I also think Alicia Witt could carry her own.

Quote: ToddB @ March 21 2011, 11:10 PM GMT

He's played the lead in 2 sitcoms, post-Seinfeld: Listen Up! and Bob Patterson. Both were axed. Early. The cancellations had nothing to do with JA's performance though, he was excellent in both.

A shame, but that's showbiz for you.

He was the star of one of my favourite animated comedies 'Duckman'. Still unavailable in this DVD region, although my friend from uni who used to watch my worn out VHS copy has just bought a region 1 player solely to watch 'Duckman'.