Actors who should have their own sitcom...

Several actors who appear regularly in other series, or are main characters, but not THE main one, really need their own sitcom! Joanna Lumley first forayed into comedy as Jennifer Saunders's sidekick in "Ab Fab", but when given "Class Act", "Dr. Willoughby" and "Sensitive Skin" - she certainly proved her chops. Miranda Hart has, thankfully, been given her own sitcom and is showing the depth of her comic ability.

Who else needs a go?
I have suggestions...

In the UK...

Celia Imrie ("The New Statesman", "Ab Fab" - off the top of my head...)
Laura Aikman ("Teenage Kicks")
Ben Elton (So many - but never one of his own!)
Lucy Punch ("Doc Martin", "Let Them Eat Cake")
Alison Steadman ("Worst Week", "Let Them Eat Cake")
Adrian Scarborough ("Let Them Eat Cake")
Tim McInnerny ("Blackadder")
Ashley Benson ("Extras")

In the US

Madeline Zima ("The Nanny" - all grown up and has always shown comic talent.)
Portia De Rossi ("Arrested Development")
Jessica Walter ("Arrested Development")
Alia Shawkat ("Arrested Development")
Christine Baranski ("Cybill")
Kathy Najimi ("Veronica's Closet")
Mo Gaffney ("Roseanne", "Ab Fab" - there was talk about a spin-off with he
character - Bo.)
Becki Newton ("Ugly Betty")
French Stewart ("3rd Rock from the Sun")
Judith Light ("Ugly Betty")

<3

I'd disagree with your premise that just because someone is good in one show they deserve their own. A lot of actors (including many you mention) are good at supporting, or in an ensemble, but I wouldn't necessarily want to see them carry an entire show.

Quote: chipolata @ March 21 2011, 6:51 AM GMT

I'd disagree with your premise that just because someone is good in one show they deserve their own. A lot of actors (including many you mention) are good at supporting, or in an ensemble, but I wouldn't necessarily want to see them carry an entire show.

I think this affects women more noticeably than men, June Whitfield is an obvious example, as she seems to have supported many male comedians (though she did have her own stage show).

Quote: chipolata @ March 21 2011, 6:51 AM GMT

I don't think all good supporting actors do need their own show. There are a lot of great ensemble actors who I haven't mentioned here. These just happen to be the ones I'd be interested in seeing carry their own show.

I do think women often fall into this position. June Whitfield is Britain's Betty White. She needs something where she is more central - even than in "Ab Fab". Where is her "Hot in California"?

I'd quite like to see Julian Barratt with his own show.

Quote: zooo @ March 21 2011, 10:46 AM GMT

I'd quite like to see Julian Barratt with his own show.

Wasn't Nathan Barley essentially about him?

Quote: ToddB @ March 21 2011, 10:31 AM GMT

I don't think all good supporting actors do need their own show. Their are a lot of great ensemble actors who I haven't mentioned here. These just happen to be the ones I'd be interested in seeing carry their own show.

No. Actors are cattle. Some do what they well, but you can easily swap them with someone else. Writers are the important bit.

Quote: chipolata @ March 21 2011, 11:36 AM GMT

Wasn't Nathan Barley essentially about him?

Hmm. I sort of see that as shared with Nicholas Burns. Not as much as the Boosh is shared with Noel, but still shared.
I want one all about him.

No. Actors are cattle. Some do what they well, but you can easily swap them with someone else. Writers are the important bit.

As a professional actor who has also done some writing and directing, I have to disagree. Sure, no actor should think themselves irreplaceable, because they're not. As a writer/director, however, you often have a very specific vision of the qualities (looks, voice, accent, manner, general demeanor) that you want for a part. Sometimes, particularly if you are thinking of someone that you have worked with or seen previously when you write or choose to direct the material, the casting is essential. Having the right actor makes so much difference - and makes thing a lot easier. Yes, you could cast someone else, but the work will be herder and the results, finally, may be a compromise.

Quote: ToddB @ March 21 2011, 11:41 AM GMT

but the work will be herder

Fruedian slip, Todd? Revealing your true thoughts? ;)

True and well spotted - I'd rather work with the actor that I want than herd!

Quote: ToddB @ March 21 2011, 1:47 AM GMT

Celia Imrie ("The New Statesman", "Ab Fab" - off the top of my head...)

After You've Gone.

Ben Elton (So many - but never one of his own!)

His recent TV shows have proved that he is wholly incapable as just himself, nevermind an acting role.

Lucy Punch ("Doc Martin", "Let Them Eat Cake")

Vexed (ok, not sitcom).

Portia De Rossi ("Arrested Development")

Better Off Ted, more or less.

Quote: ToddB @ March 21 2011, 10:31 AM GMT

June Whitfield is Britain's Betty White. She needs something where she is more central - even than in "Ab Fab". Where is her "Hot in California"?

Happy Ever After. Terry & June.

Quote: Aaron @ March 21 2011, 12:49 PM GMT

After You've Gone.

Vexed (ok, not sitcom).

Better Off Ted, more or less.

Happy Ever After. Terry & June.

Thanks, I'll have to look some of those up. I'm not familiar with them. :)

Quote: Griff @ March 21 2011, 12:55 PM GMT

Some of the actors from The Thick Of It would be great as sitcom leads.

I'd love to see Chris Addison playing the lead in a big, silly sitcom set in a university science laboratory.

Mark Heap is the perpetual supporting actor for me and is almost always often a sign of laughter to come. I suppose The Great Outdoors is kind of Mark Heap's closest thing to a starring role, but there's still a very strong ensemble element to the show.

Oooh, and Kevin Eldon too. Pretty much the same can be said about him. Unfortunately, they're both so good in supporting roles, I worry that a sitcom focused on them might dilute the funny?

No. Actors are cattle. Some do what they well, but you can easily swap them with someone else.

Some actors would will bring much more to a role than others, you can't just swap one for another all willy nilly as each would bring something different. If you dropped Chris Barrie and got in Will Mellor, the effect is going to be somewhat different, for better or worse.