The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer/Bang Bang

Are many other members Reeves and Mortimer fans? I remember seeing The Smell Of... when it was first shown but I didn't get it back then as I was only 14 or 15. I have since got into the series more, as well as Bang Bang It's Reeves and Mortimer.

One thing I have noticed is that Series 1 of The Smell Of... is much more more offbeat and surreal than Series 2 - they have "the fellow trapped under the ice", for example.

A lot of people seem to remember the scene in Bang Bang when Vic's head is disfigured by a tumbledryer, but I'm not sure if anyone remembers the British Information Board film in The Smell Of (Series 1) where Bob's face is disfigured after being hit with a large frying pan (and Vic is told to use a German photographer's iron beard (!) because he has damaged the pan!).

They are my number one gods. The original (Smell Of) series are censored on DVD having had the red and blue videos at one point (they took out the really creepy bits). Bang Bang was more character based and less like the 'Big Night Out' format that 'Smell Of' was based on. Shame there are no groups any more like them pair had round them.
Try The Weekenders on 4od. It's only a pilot but it's super surreal and fun.

Thanks for your message. I have heard of The Weekenders, so I will have to check this out. My favourite of all Vic and Bob's shows has to be Shooting Stars, but I like all of their other comedy shows (I never saw much of Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, but their version looked good).

So it was what the BBC considered the creepy bits that were cut out - this was a crying shame. I now have the uncut VHS release and the BBC butchered the British Information Board films - as you might remember, the narrator in the first is a person with a Spring Onion head (he sounds so funny speaking with Patrick Allen's voice!), the narrator in the second is a human-sized lobster standing on its back legs while the third is the bizarre Mr Porridge who looks almost like a scary version of Mr Blobby with tentacles, jagged teeth and a tiny hat.

The last scene of the British Information Board films is really funny where Vic and Bob have had enough and they shoot Mr Porridge with a bazooka!

The first series of The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer is by far their best work. Although the second series and the Bang Of series is good in places especially in the club skits in the Bang Of series the whole of the first series is unquestionably genius.

Quote: James Cotter @ March 28 2011, 2:02 PM BST

The first series of The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer is by far their best work. Although the second series and the Bang Of series is good in places especially in the club skits in the Bang Of series the whole of the first series is unquestionably genius.

I have noticed that a lot of people believe Series 1 of The Smell Of Reeves and Mortimer to be their best work - it is definitely more surreal than Series 2 as well as being much darker in parts. The dark side of their humour did come back, though, with Bang Bang, where they had the car door sketches causing people to die and have a hard-boiled egg coming out of their mouths!